The Safe Space Program is an initiative to educate allies who support LGBTQ individuals in our campus community. Please consider this your invitation to participate.
Unlike more visible under-represented groups, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons cannot be readily identified. Likewise, there is no easy method of finding persons supportive of LGBT people. The Safe Space Program strives to provide a way for supportive persons within the campus community to prominently identify themselves. The program, which is broken into four parts, enhances Valdosta State University's student mission to provide a diverse student population with an inspired education, a safe learning environment, a nurturing community, and a wealth of experience that assists students in molding their futures in a creative, conscious, and caring fashion while preparing them to be lifelong learners who will meet the needs of a changing global society.
About the Symbol
The Safe Space logo above is based on the rainbow flag, which is representative of the acceptance of the diversity within our entire society, as well as the more specific LGBT communities. At the end of the Safe Space training you will receive the above Safe Space logo in order to publicly show your support of the LGBT community.
Goal of the Safe Space Program
The goal of this program is to provide a more appreciative and nurturing environment for LGBT people at Valdosta State University by establishing an identifiable network of people who can provide support, information, and act as allies to LGBT individuals within the campus community.
Safe Space Objectives
- To identify and mobilize a network of people who are knowledgeable about LGBT topics and open, supportive and nurturing to LGBT people. The Safe Space training will emphasize knowledge about campus and community resources.
- To provide evidence of LGBT support by displaying the above logo as a visible symbol of personal commitment.
- To reduce the fear of reprisal and discrimination of LGBT persons within the VSU community.
- 1500 N. Patterson St. University Center Entrance 5 Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5709
- M-TH 8am - 5:30pm and Friday 8am-3pm. Email and/phone calls responded to within 24hrs. Thank you for your patience.