Travel Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which form is used for travel reimbursement for a non-VSU employee or student, such as an interview candidate or student team travel?

    All payments to non-employees should be handled by the Procurement Office.
  • How do I pay conference registration fees in advance of the conference?

    A traveler can pay the fee and be reimbursed on the online Expense Report. Also, the fee can be paid with the State of Georgia Purchasing Card. If the vendor will not accept the Purchasing Card, a request for payment can be submitted to the Accounts Payable and Travel office by completing a Prepaid Registration form. An approved Travel Authorization should be referenced.
  • What are the meal reimbursement rates?

    The current meal reimbursement rates for travel within the state of Georgia are listed below (must be gone 12 hours to be entitled to the per diem).  Meals for the first and last day of travel are reimbursable at 75%.

    Meal Type

    Regular Maximum Allowable

    High Cost County Max. Allowable










    Day total





    High Cost Areas are limited to the following counties: Chatham, Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, Glynn, Richmond (Atlanta and Savannah)

    For travel out side of the state of Georgia please refer to the federal per diem rates (the $5 incidentals is allowed)

    Meals for the first and last day of travel are reimbursable at 75%.

  • Can I be reimbursed for airfare prior to travel?

    Yes.  Submit an Expense Report using the Online Expense Module and submit the original receipt with a reference the Expense Report and Travel Authorization number.
  • Will I be reimbursed for Fist Class or Business Class airfare?

    The University System of Georgia does not permit First or Business Class travel unless the circumstances noted in Section 4.6.1 of the Business Manual are met.

  • What is the current mileage reimbursement rate?

    The current mileage reimbursement rate is .58 cents per mile.
  • When am I reimbursed for gas?

    Gas is reimbursed when a car is rented. Actual receipts are required. When a VSU vehicle is used, employees should use the State of Georgia Fuel Card.
  • Why is my reimbursement less than what I submitted on my Travel Expense Statement?

    There are several reasons for this, but the most common is that the amount requested is in excess of the amount approved on the Travel Authorization .  Additionally, your reimbursement may be reduced for the following:

    • Local taxes
    • Unallowable Meals
    • Mathematical error
  • How do I get reimbursed for money paid out-of-pocket for a visiting scholar?

    An employee should never pay for another person’s expenses.  All expenses should be noted on the Cooperative Agreement/Purchase order for the Services.
  • How long does it take to get on Direct Deposit?

    The average time for a Direct Deposit to pre-note is approximately 10 to 15 working days.
  • Are meal receipts required?

  • Why do I have to turn in original receipts?

    An original receipt is always required per our auditors as it prevents duplication of payment.
  • Why am I required to itemize my receipts?

    State funds cannot be used to pay for certain expenses therefore it is necessary to identify the various charges on a receipt so that Accounts Payable can appropriately allocate the funds.
  • Can I pay for items of a tangible nature with personal funds and get reimbursed?

    This process is only allowable for emergencies not exceeding $50 through University Petty Cash Funds. A tax exemption certificate must be presented to the seller.  A tax exemption certificate can be obtained from the Accounting Director in Financial Services. Complete an expense report and turn in the original receipt to be reimbursed. 

    Common Mistakes

    • P-card cannot be used for travel

    • Present “Certificate of exemption of local hotel/ motel excise tax” upon arrival at hotels in Georgia.

    • Turn in conference agenda with expense report

    • Turn in car cost comparison/ Flight cost comparison with expense report

    • The 1st and last day of travel, only 75% of allowable pier diem

    • Be sure to take paper copy of expense report for signatures before submitting to travel department