Whitehead Camellia Trail
The Whitehead Camellia Trail was donated as a Christmas gift in 1944 to Georgia State Woman’s College. Mrs. Jewel Whitehead donated 150 camellia plants to the college and took the time and effort to plant them on the north end of the main campus amongst some pine trees. She continuously worked on the trail throughout the rest of her life, adding new flowers and keeping up the old ones.
“The camellias which make up the walk were presented to the college by Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Whitehead who own one of Georgia's finest collections of all varieties of camellia bushes. Mrs. Whitehead, with the help of her old… "yard man," began putting the plants out last fall and they had the trail completed by spring. The bushes, which were placed among the tall pines for which the G.[S.] W . C. campus is noted… Mrs. Whitehead transplanted many of the plants from her own yard and bought the others to complete the walk." (Campus Canopy 12-1-45)
(Image from the Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections)