GSWC Fireplace

A Casual cookout at the fireplace

(Image from the Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections)


"The massive gray stone fireplaces, located on opposite sides of the campus, are favorite spots for steak suppers and wiener roasts." (GSWC Bulletin, 25th Anniversary, 1938, p. 14) Originally there were two fireplaces. The fireplaces were donated by, "thoughtful faculty members for making our campus life more interesting, and credit is due to Miss Ivey, Miss Gilmer, Mr. Dusenbury, and Dr. Powell for our added pleasures." (Pinebranch, Nov. 1931, p. 15)

Present Day Look at GSWC Fireplace

(Image from Valdosta State University's Creative Services Department)