Papers of the VSU Biology Department
Call Number: UA 8/6
Name: Biology Department
Size: 8 folders
History of the Department: The Biology department and/or Biology classes have been active since SGSNC opened in 1913. Significant names associated with Biology are Beatrice Nevins, Marjorie Carter, Clyde Connell and Wayne Faircloth. The Biology department moved to the Biology Chemistry Building on Main Campus from Nevins Hall. It was completed in 2001. During the time covered by the papers, Dr. Clyde Connell was Department Head until 1981, Dr. Wayne Faircloth to 1993, and Dr. David C. Bechler, from 1996 to the present.
Scope and Content: These papers originated with the Valdosta State University Biology Department, which resides in the College of Arts and Sciences. They represent various aspects of departmental activity from 1977-2001. Because the papers are fairly recent, earlier figures such as Nevins and Carter are not included.
The papers include the following parts:
[Folder 1] Alpha Epsilon Delta: program relating to installation of pre-medical honor society at VSC.
[Folder 2] Admissions brochures and information for attracting students
[Folder 3] Booklets and brochures by Dr. Wayne Faircloth: including Native plants and common trees
[Folder 4] Programs from the Clyde Connell Lecture Series: [programs from 1986-1992
[Folder 5] Course work and laboratory exercises: various classes Bio 125, Bio 223, including a list of trees, shrubs, and woody vines on campus.
[Folder 6] Dedication Ceremony, Biology Chemistry Building
[Folder 7] Memo and survey to area teachers and professors on teaching and evolution/creationism debate.
[Folder 8] Programs, for speeches
Biology /Chemistry Building Dedication
Common Trees of Central South Georgia
Sources of Native Plants
Clyde Eugene Connell Lecture Series
Alpha Epsilon Delta
Processing Date: 7/2001
The Odum Library is a Federal Depository Library.