Becoming a transient VSU student for Study Abroad/Exchange purposes:

  1. Apply to VSU through the VSU Admissions Office. Please contact their office if you need any assistance with applying as a transient, or questions about your application.
    • Remember to submit a copy of your driver's license along with your application to fulfill the verification of lawful presence requirement.
    • “Transient Permission Letter” - This letter needs to be prepared by your home institution and mailed in with your transient application form. (Some institutions refer to this as the "letter of good standing") This can be obtained from your home institutions' Registrar's office. 
  2. After receiving your student ID number (870######), please send it to Irina McClellan, and keep your student ID number in a safe place for future reference.

Important information for students receiving financial aid:

  • Transients who are Hope eligible will have to complete the appropriate paperwork between the financial aid office at the home institution and the VSU financial aid office.  Once this process is complete, and the student is actually registered for the study abroad class, the VSU financial aid office should show the authorized amount of Hope funds available and the student will need to pay the remaining student account balance by the appropriate fee payment deadline. You can contact the VSU financial aid office at (229) 333-5935
  • Transients who receive other types of financial aid have to pay VSU up front by the appropriate fee payment deadline, and then have their financial aid office pay them whatever financial aid they are eligible for.
  • No fees will be assessed to our account until you are actually registered for a class

Cost of VSU Tuition:

If study abroad courses are the only classes that you will be taking during the entire summer at VSU, then you will pay the current tuition rate and the institutional fee. Student fees such as Health, Athletic, Technology, etc are waived as you will not be on campus to use those services.

  • Tuition for this academic year (2013-2014) is $165.80 for undergraduate students and $230 for grads per credit hour
  • Institutional fee for this year is $147.50 for 4 or fewer hours or $295 for 5 or more total hours.

So an undergraduate taking two courses abroad (6 credit hours) will pay $1289.80: ($165.80 x 6 credit hours = $994.8 tuition) + ($295 institutional fee)= $1289.80

Please note this important additional info! If you take courses at Valdosta State during the summer in addition to your study abroad classes, then all student fees will be charged to your account (again, this includes Health, Athletic,  Technology, etc). 

For the current academic year's fee schedule (AY 2013-2014), please click on the link below for more information:

How to Pay Tuition

  • To pay tuition, you will need to log into Banner by going to the “Online Student Account Center” page and clicking on the orange button on the right of the page.
    •  To log in, you will use VSU ID number (starts with 870) as your username and your default password which should be your 8 digit birthdate. If you were born on May 23, 1992 your default password should be 05231992.
    •  If you have any questions, please contact VSU’s Bursary Office directly at (229) 333-5725.

Course Registration and Final Grades:

  • The European Council office will register you for classes at Valdosta State University.
  • Upon return from your program, you will need to request that your academic transcripts be sent from Valdosta State to your home institution. You will personally need to call the VSU registrar’s office at (229) 333-5727 to have them sent.