Vehicle SafetyAround Your Car
- Always have your key in your hand, ready to unlock the door.
- Park in well lighted areas only. Always lock your doors.
- As you approach(from a distance), look underneath your car, and those surrounding it, to be sure there's no one hiding there.
- Check your back seat to make sure it's empty before you unlock your door.
On the Road
- If someone approaches you to ask directions, keep the car in gear and open the window just enough so you can be heard. If someone tries to open the door, drive away quickly and safely.
- When stopping at a stop sign or light, keep a good distance, ideally at least one car length, between you and the car ahead of you. This may allow you a way to escape if a criminal attempts to break in.
- Don't pick up hitchhikers.
- Try not to leave any papers with your name or home address in the car.
- If someone tries to take your car, give it up. Your life is more important than your car.
- Have your vehicle fully serviced before your trip. Get a flashlight and a road map that indicates police stations and hospitals.
- Stop in well lit and well populated areas whenever possible. Check your surroundings before getting out of your car. Try to avoid public rest areas, especially after dark.