February 25, 2009
Director of Communications
VSU will Host Parent University
VALDOSTA -Valdosta State University will host Parent University,
along with Valdosta City Schools, Lowndes County Schools and Moody
Air Force Base on Saturday, March 7. The event will be held in the
University Center from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and is free to all
parents, grandparents, guardians, and childcare providers.
Participants can choose three sessions from among 19 topics including financial management, preparing your child for college, effective discipline strategies, challenges facing parents of children with autism, and Internet safety.
John Klimko, a licensed marriage and family therapist, will open the conference with a keynote address focusing on a parent’s responsibility for determining their child’s success. Klimko will also teach a regular session on the topic “Bringing the Family Back to the Dining Room Table,” which will address the importance of family communication.
Classes are limited and pre-registration can be completed online at http://www.gocats.org or http://www.lowndes.k12.ga.us
• Bringing the Family Back to the Dining Room Table
• Helping Your Child Succeed in Order to Graduate High School
• Financial Management in Tough Economic Times
• The Military as a Career Option
• Valdosta Technical College…An Education without Limits
• Is Your Child Ready for College?
• Response to Interventions: A New Way of Helping All Children Achieve
• Effective Strategies to Help Motivate Children
• Helping Your Child Respond Effectively to Peer Pressure
• 1,2,3, Magic: Effective Discipline for Children ages 2-12
• Potty Training 101 & Effective Guidance Teaching for Toddlers
• Preparing your Preschooler for Elementary Education
• Street Smart: Safety and Security Tips
• Management Tips for Parents of Children with Attention Deficit Disorder
• Challenges and Issues for Parents of Children with Autism
• Resources for Single Parents and Grandparents
• Communication with Your Child’s Personality
• Internet Safety for You and Your Child
• The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good: Understanding Discipline and Behavior using IDEA and IEP’s
All classes are offered during each of the three sessions. Pre-registration is recommended.