October 3, 1999
VSU recognizes Hispanic Heritage Month
The Department of Modern and Classical Languages at Valdosta
State University is sponsoring several free events during October,
Hispanic Heritage Month. The community is invited to take part and
learn more about the Latin culture. Some of the activities
* Salsa Classes, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 4, 11, 18, and 25 in the Old Gym studio, taught by Willis Lopez. Participants must wear non-marking shoes or socks.
* Movies, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the University Center. Dr. Annie Mayer and Dr. Susan Wehling will host each movie. The following movies will be shown:
* Dance with Me, Oct. 7, will be shown in the UC Magnolia Room.
* Hombres Armados (Men with Guns), Oct. 13, will be shown in the UC University Theater.
* Nueva Yol, Oct. 20, will be shown in the UC Rose Room.
* Mexican Night, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 14 at Las Banderas Restaurant. A conference will be held on Mexican Culture. All participants must pay for their meals.
* Caribbean Night, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 22 at Christ Episcopal Church. To provide attendants a chance to try Caribbean cuisine and learn more about Caribbean culture from hosts, Dr. Mervin Capeles, from Puerto Rico, and Dr. Manuel Cachan, from Cuba.
* Latino Theater, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 30 in the Continuing Education Theater, presenting "Los Cuenteros" or "The Storytellers" written and directed by Dr. Mervin Capeles.
* Latino Dance, 9 p.m. to midnight Oct. 30 in the Old Gym. Features a DJ and a collection of Latin Music.
* Latino Nights, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 10, 17 and 24 on WXVS FM 90.1. Dr. Manuel Cochran will interview local Hispanic people during his radio program.
* Tambor (drum) classes, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 9, 16 and 23, at the South Side Recreation Center. Under the direction of percussionist, Juan Capeles.
* For more information, pelase contact Dr. Capeles, chair of Hispanic Heritage Month, at 229-333-5984.