VSU Psi Chi
Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, was founded in 1929 with a mission to encourage excellence in scholarship and advance the science of psychology. More than 700,000 lifetime members have joined in this worthwhile cause including Distinguished Members such as Drs. Albert Bandura, B. F. Skinner, and Phillip Zimbardo. A few popular Membership Benefits include international recognition for academic excellence, as well as access to our three publications and more than $400,000 in annual awards and grants.Chapter Faculty Advisors: Dr. Steven Kohn and Dr. Deb Briihl
Current Psi Chi President: Erin Tremblay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Psi Chi official website: http://www.psichi.org/
Valdosta State University (VSU) Chapter of Psi Chi cordially invites both undergraduate and graduate student at Valdosta State University to apply for membership. Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology, and membership depends upon class standing and academic achievement. Membership is a lifetime honor, and our members enjoy an array of benefits and features including research and travel grants, student peer-reviewed journals and newsletters. The one-time life-time membership fee ($55.00) includes an official certificate, an ID card, and a Psi Chi pin. You will also receive a Psi Chi pen and an honor cord to wear at your commencement or hooding ceremony (if you are a graduate student).
Once you submit your online application, I will review it and determine your eligibility.
If you qualify, you will receive an email confirmation regarding my decision.
To get started:
1. Go to http://www.psichi.org/?page=JoinToday
2. Read the qualifications for application and select APPLY NOW
3. Then, choose “Valdosta State University” from the Local Chapter drop--‐down menu
and fill out the application including your name, email address, and student ID number
4. At the bottom of the page, please check the box authorizing the VSU Chapter faculty advisor (Dr. Steven Kohn) to review your college records to determine your eligibility for membership in Psi Chi
5. Add your Name/Signature and select SUBMIT
If you have any questions about the membership application and/or Psi Chi, please feel free to contact:
Dr. Steven Kohn
Faculty Advisor, Valdosta State University Psi Chi Chapter
- be enrolled as a major or minor in a psychology program or a program psychological in nature
- have completed at least 3 semesters or equivalent of full-time college coursework
- have completed at least 9 semester hours or equivalent of psychology courses
- have earned a cumulative GPA that is in the top 35% of their class (sophomore, junior, or senior) compared to their classmates across the entire university or the college that houses psychology (minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale)2
- have a minimum 3.0 GPA average for psychology courses
- be accepted into and enrolled in a psychology or closely related graduate program
- have completed at least 9 semester hours of graduate psychology courses in that program
- have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate courses including psychology courses
- meet their graduate program's requirements (e.g., if specific courses require an A or B, students must meet those requirements even if their cumulative GPA is above 3.0)
- follow the same requirements as the undergraduate student applicants
- complete at least 12 semester hours or equivalent of psychology coursework at the new institution unless the chapter's bylaws specify fewer hours—check with your local chapter
- Transfer students who are already members of Psi Chi
- may select to contact the Psi Chi faculty advisor at the new institution to complete an online transfer of membership form
- You will receive international recognition for academic excellence in psychology, an honor that can be noted on employment applications, vitaes, or resumes.
- More members continue their educations than the average student population.
- Psi Chi is ACHS accredited, well-represented, and respected among professional ranks of all behavioral sciences. Psi Chi is also the largest world-wide honor society – and the largest student psychological organization in the world! Distinguished Psi Chi Members include Albert Bandura, Philip Zimbardo, Elizabeth Loftus, and Rollo May!
- Over $400,000 are available annually in awards and grants (including travel grants!) for undergraduates, graduates, faculty advisors, and chapters.
- All members receive free access to three great publications.
- Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research is a quarterly peer-reviewed publication found in both PsycINFO and EBSCO databases. The Journal actively publishes empirical research by Psi Chi students and faculty to "foster and reward the scholarly efforts of psychology students.”
- Eye on Psi Chi magazine provides valuable articles by professionals and scholars about psychology, graduate school, career advice, and more.
- Psi Chi Digest keeps members informed about Psi Chi news and opportunities.
- Involvement with a chapter promotes five major advantages
- Leadership Experiences—You can gain leadership experiences that last a lifetime. For example, consider becoming a chapter officer.
- Valued Friendships—A strong sense of community with others in psychology is created through various chapter meetings and activities with fellow students and faculty.
- Personalized Education—Membership makes it easier for you to learn outside of the classroom through closer relationships with professors who encourage an interest in psychology, involve students in research projects, and write meaningful letters of recommendation.
- Mentoring Involvement—You can, for example, help first-year students become accustomed to college life. You may also go on to become a faculty advisor and even form future chapters in order to teach younger generations.
- Community Service—You can gain recognition and take great pride in having helped others in your community through a variety of creative service projects.
- Local, regional, national, and international psychology conventions allow you to
- gain research presentation experiences;
- receive certificates recognizing accomplishments at regional and national conventions;
- attend educational programming about psychology, education, and career opportunities;
- meet leading psychologists, students, and officers from other chapters; and
- learn from our distinguished lecturers and speak with them in person during a
- conversation hour after their lectures.
- Psi Chi’s online store allows you to purchase graduation regalia, apparel, jewelry, chapter supplies, and more to display your Psi Chi pride!
- All Psi Chi memberships are for life! In fact, psichi.org includes a personal login account to help you stay connected to the organization and your specific chapter even after you graduate. With your membership login, you can
- view your chapter’s latest material including a calendar of upcoming events, photos, and a blog maintained by your officers and advisors;
- manage your Psi Chi subscriptions;
- see special Psi Chi offers;
- download templates for member invitations, induction ceremonies, and poster sessions; and
- update your profile information.
- Social media platforms provide limitless networking opportunities through Psi Chi’s membership-exclusive LinkedIn group, and public Facebook and Twitter pages.
- A membership card and certificate are given to all members to recognize the honor of being a part of the Society.
- The U.S. government accepts membership as one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level for numerous professional and technical occupations.
- Joining Psi Chi is an important step in advancing your future. All of the aforementioned membership benefits were designed to specifically enhance your psychological career. Together, Psi Chi members are proud of all that their Society has accomplished, and they look forward to continuing to unite with people just like you who are dedicated to improving people’s lives and furthering the field of psychology. Join Psi Chi TODAY to become a part of the largest student psychological organization in the world!
Department of Psychological Science
- 1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.219.3400