Summer Bridge Academy
Valdosta State University
Contract for Success
The Summer Bridge Academy is an invitation-only program designed for a select group of students who wish to attend Valdosta State University but did not meet the requirements for regular admission. Over a 7 week period, students will take 8 hours of classes, which will prepare them for educational success in the future. Upon completion of the Summer Bridge Academy, students will be equipped with the tools to excel in their classes, have confidence in their academic ability, and be aware of the resources to get involved around campus. Completion of the Summer Bridge Academy will not only contribute to students’ personal success but also to the institutional success of Valdosta State University.
All students will be enrolled in 8 hours of classes. Each student will be enrolled in VSU1101, COMM 1100, and either MATH 1111 OR ENGL 1101, depending on their standardized testing scores.
VSU 1101 (2 hours)
Keys to College Success
Students will have an introduction to lifelong learning with emphasis on college study skill strategies. Topics include learning styles, time management, learning and memory skills, learning from texts and lectures, note-taking, objective and essay examinations, and critical thinking skills. This portion of the class will account for 2 credit hours.
COMM 1100 (3 hours)
A broad approach to oral communication skills including intrapersonal, interpersonal, small group, and public speaking.
ENGL 1101 (3 hours)
A composition course focusing on skills required for effective writing in a variety of contexts, with emphasis on exposition, analysis, and argumentation, and also including introductory use of a variety of research skills. Students will develop analytical and evaluative skills by reading and writing expository and/or argumentative essays.
MATH 1111 (3 hours)
Algebraic topics including polynomials, rational expressions, equations, inequalities, graphing, exponents and radicals, relations and functions through exponential and logarithmic functions.
In order to participate in Valdosta State University’s Summer Bridge Academy, students must agree to the following:
1. Summer Bridge Academy students must attend a mandatory welcome session prior to the start of classes the week of June 8th.
2. Students must attend a mandatory orientation session held June 27, 2014 in preparation to transition into the Fall 2014 semester.
3. Students will be admitted as “undecided/undeclared” and must enroll in VSU 1101, COMM 1100, and either ENGL 1101 OR MATH 1111.
4. Students must live in campus housing in Hopper Hall, unless they qualify to live off campus and commute to their classes. To see if you qualify visit http://www.valdosta.edu/administration/finance-admin/auxiliary-services/housing/policies-and-procedures/freshmen-residency-mandate.php. **Students who qualify to live off campus must attend all of the required social events, academic seminars, student success workshops, and must attend all of the mandatory tutoring sessions.
5. Students must follow all of the Guidelines for Community Living, which are in place in order to: “Ensure that all students residing in the residence halls and their guests are aware of the expectations for all members of the residential communities. All residents and guests are expected to follow these guidelines and assist in the effort to create residential communities where all community members feel safe and comfortable, can study and focus on academics, while growing and developing personal skill sets. Any residents who do not follow these guidelines may be documented and asked to go through the student conduct hearing process.” For the complete list of the Guidelines for Community Living visit http://www.valdosta.edu/administration/finance-admin/auxiliary-services/housing/policies-and-procedures/welcome.php.
6. Students are required to earn a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher in all attempted Summer Bridge Academy course work. Students must make a “C” or better in each of their SBA classes.
- Students must adhere to the classroom policies listed in each course’s syllabus, which include:
- attending mandatory tutoring sessions
- bringing their textbooks to every tutoring session to ensure an efficient use of time
- following the attendance policies of each class
- turning assignments and homework in on time
- participating in classroom discussions
- checking your Valdosta e-mail and Blazeview accounts regularly
7. Students must attend all mandatory academic seminars and student success workshops.
8. Students may not withdraw from any of their Summer Bridge Academy classes. Withdrawing from a class is also viewed as a withdrawal from the program, and students will not be eligible for admission to Valdosta State University in the Fall if this action is taken.
Completion of the Summer Bridge Academy does not guarantee admission to Valdosta State University. All students will be evaluated to ensure that all of the course requirements have been met, that they regularly attended class, and that they acquired and maintained the appropriate GPA.