Welcome to the Office of Communications
The Office of Communications exists to advance the university’s mission, achievements, programs and strategic goals to key constituent groups through the development of strategic communication materials and activities. The office works in collaboration with all university departments and programs to increase the positive opinions and engagement of support for VSU. The office focuses on increasing the visibility and stature of VSU as a premier comprehensive university and assists in the university’s quest to gain national prominence.
Public Information and Media Relations
- The Office of Communications is the primary point-of-contact for all media inquiries and the official channel for dissemination of public information. In addition to creating press releases and feature stories for the VSU Web site, the staff pitches ideas to local, regional, and state media outlets and coordinates interviews and photo shoots for media to publicize university news and events.
- Reporters often request interviews with VSU community members. Anyone speaking to the media, particularly to television reporters, should dress professionally and when possible wear a VSU lapel pin or wear collegiate sportswear with the VSU insignia. Do not display or wear memorabilia from other universities, as this may undermine your efforts to promote VSU.
- VSU faculty and staff approached by a reporter should call the Office of Communications at 229-333-2163 or email@example.com to request assistance in dealing with a media inquiry.
- The communications staff facilitates internal communications through various e-mail distribution lists to faculty, staff and students. The office is responsible for news content posted on VSU’s main Web page.
- The office is also responsible for production of VSU's News Now e-newsletter, which is distributed weekly during the academic year to faculty, staff, students, retirees, alumni, and the University of Georgia Board of Regents.