Accreditations and Memberships
Valdosta State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor's, master's, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of VSU.
Numerous academic programs have also attained accreditation from or membership in national professional organizations.
College of the Arts
Also in the College of the Arts, programs in music are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The public relations emphasis within the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in speech communication has been awarded Certification in Education for Public Relations by the Public Relations Society of America. The art and music education programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
College of Arts and Sciences
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry degree program has been approved by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society. Students who complete the approved program are eligible to have their degree certified by the American Chemical Society.
The Foreign Language Education track in Modern and Classical Languages holds accreditation from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
The Master of Public Administration program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration.
Harley Langdale Jr. College of Business Administration
Programs within the Harley Langdale Jr. College of Business Administration are accredited by AACSB International, the highest business school accreditation level in the world. This accreditation places our undergraduate and graduate (MBA and Web MBA) programs in the top five percent internationally.
James L. and Dorothy H. Dewar College of Education and Human Services
The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation has accredited the Dewar College of Education and Human Services as the unit primarily responsible for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel. All of the programs housed within the college, as well as the art, music, and foreign language education programs, are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
Six programs in the unit have received national recognition by their specialized professional associations. These include:
- BSEd in Early Childhood Education (Association for Childhood Education International);
- BSEd in Middle Grades Education (Association for Middle Level Education);
- MEd in Special Education: Deaf Education and Hard of Hearing Track (Council for Exceptional Children);
- MEd in Instructional Technology (American Library Association/ American Association of School Librarians);
- MEd in Special Education General Curriculum (Association for Childhood Education International and Council for Exceptional Children); and
- BA in Spanish and BA in French (Foreign Language Education Tracks) (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages).
Additionally, five programs have achieved national accreditation from their aligned professional associations:
- MEd in Communication Disorders (Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association);
- MEd in School Counseling (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs);
- MS in Marriage and Family Therapy (Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Training and Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy);
- Master of Library and Information Science (American Library Association); and
- Master of Social Work program (Council on Social Work Education).
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Both the bachelor’s degree (BSN) and the master’s degree (MSN) programs in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. The BS in Athletic Training is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, and the BS in Exercise Physiology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.