COVID-19 Housing Information
This information applies to all residents, including those that live in Centennial Hall with contracts that extend beyond spring 2020.
Thank you for living with us. We did not anticipate your time on campus to be cut short and we are sorry the changing conditions with COVID-19 in our country are impacting your college experience in this way.
We have established a detailed plan to assist with your transition off campus and are grateful for your understanding as we work to implement this plan knowing our priorities are to:
- Maintain the health of our students and staff by adhering to guidelines set forth by the CDC regarding social distancing and large group gatherings.
- Maintain the security of the buildings and your belongings (access to buildings has currently been restricted to those that filled out the survey through the MyVSU portal about extenuating circumstances).
- Make the move-out process as easy as possible given the circumstances.
Check out Procedures
You will need to schedule your move-out date and time. Timeslots are available in 2-hour increments on the schedule below and are staggered per building in order to follow the CDC guidelines of limiting the number of people in a single area at one time:
Thursday, March 19 Noon – 8:00 pm
March 20 – 27 8:00 am – 8:00 pm (including weekends)
You will only be permitted within the residence hall during your confirmed scheduled check-out time. Only you and two additional guests will be permitted!
To schedule a check-out time:
- Log in to the VSU Housing Portal.
- Choose “Spring 2020 Move Out Timeslots” along the top menu bar (next to Home).
- Select your residence hall on the Booking Selector page.
- Next, select an available time slot to schedule your move-out. If your preferred day or time is not listed then there are no additional slots available at that time.
- After selecting your time, scroll to the bottom and click the “Save & Continue” button to confirm your time. You will receive an email confirmation of your timeslot.
-If you do not receive a confirmation email, please log back into the portal to finalize any items.
At the Time of Your Checkout:
- Bring no more than two (2) additional people. Please follow CDC guidelines and do not ask those with compromised immune systems or are sick to assist.
- Go directly to your building to pick up an express checkout packet. You will not be allowed to enter the building without your check-out time confirmation email.
- Take all personal items you want from the room to your vehicle and dispose of all trash/perishable items in outdoor dumpsters. We will provide bins or stair-climber dollies, and trash bags for you to utilize through the move-out process.
- In order to provide a quick check out process, we are offering for you to leave ONLY your clean and empty mini-fridge or microwave units in your room. Please use painters tape and marker to write your name, 870 number, and room number on these items and leave in your room. More information will be sent during the summer on when to retrieve these items at start of Fall semester.
- Turn in your room keys and express checkout form to your residence hall desk. After this step you will no longer have access to your room.
- Parking and University Police will be on hand to facilitate a successful move out. As long as you are parked in legal parking spaces you will not receive a parking ticket.
If you have a Compromised Immune System, Sick or Cannot Return to Campus:
Please schedule a day and time to check out. We will allow for up to 3 friends or family to move out your belongings on your behalf as long as they have a copy (paper or electronic) of your confirmation email from your Housing portal.
Students seeking an exception to remain in University Housing should understand that exceptions will be granted in only the most extreme, documented circumstances, and exceptions will be granted only on a temporary basis through Spring 2020 semester. Possible circumstances that may be considered include extreme distance to, and current conditions in, your home locations; documented needs for academic accommodations that can only be met on campus; complete reliance on local employment for financial stability; or residential displacement (homelessness).
Convenience jobs, unless their primary means of support, or deemed a critical public safety or public health profession, will not be considered a legitimate reason for remaining in the residence halls. If you believe you meet one or more of these exceptions, you may complete this online form no later than Tuesday, March 24th at 12:00 pm (noon).
A decision will be communicated through your Valdosta State University email account no later than March 26th. Please note that should your request for an exception be granted, you will likely be required to move to a different residence hall in order to ensure appropriate levels of staffing.
Emptying your Mailbox and Forwarding Mail:
While you are on campus, you should plan to empty your mail from your campus PO Box and retrieve any packages that may have been delivered. You can manage your future correspondence by submitting the forwarding address form online AND submitting the official USPS Change-of-Address.
VSU Forwarding Address Form: This form will be provided to you at check-in.
USPS Change of Address Form: https://moversguide.usps.com
Refunds and Housing Credits:
This situation is changing daily and must be aligned with guidance and instruction from the University System, State and Federal offices. As plans are developed and decisions are made, we will send emails to impacted groups.
Contacting University Housing:
University Housing is anticipating a high volume of calls and emails during this time. All efforts will be made to respond as quickly as possible; however, there may be delays in that response time. University Housing can best be reached through email at email@example.com.
We recognize the frustration and inconvenience the current situation may cause and we appreciate your patience as we work through this unprecedented event. Valdosta State University has no higher priority than the health and safety of you and our campus community. Our campus leadership team is working closely with campus partners, and the CDC to monitor this evolving public health issue.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 229-333-5920 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
During this Emergency Situation we have provided a list of local vendors who are offering assistance.
Extra Space Storage 1415 Baytree Rd (229) 375-0687
- Much availability, size 5X5 and up
- First month free on all units, then approximately $31 a month for a 5X5 unit on the second or third floor (this price may fluctuate daily).
- www.extraspace.com book online for lowest prices
Southern Self-Storage 3200 Inner Perimeter Road (229) 218-2020
- Offering discounted rates for VSU students but waiting for corporate approval on rate
- Please call and let them know you are a VSU student
Davis Creations Self-Storage 402 Murray Road (229) 247-4120
- Will prorate March and give ½ price until end of April
- 3 inside climate controlled units, each approx. $166 ($45 deposit will be refunded) and 1 outside unit approx. $101 ($30 deposit will be refunded). These prices are good for now through end of April
- Employees are working from home, please call in advance and mention you are a VSU student to schedule an appointment. Please also bring your student ID.
- Will prorate March and give ½ price until end of April
Valdosta Mini Storage 412 Connell Road (229) 244-0870
- Several 5x5 and 5x10 units available
- 5x5 units $32 a month
- Employees are working from home, please call in advance and make an appointment. Please mention you are a VSU Student and bring your Student ID.
Cube Smart Self-Storage 3819 N Valdosta Road (229) 262-1060
- They have several units available and are always offering discounts
A&M Self-Storage 1598 Norman Drive (229) 244-5032
- 10% student discount with ID
American Self-Storage 4545 N Valdosta Road (229) 242-5767
- 10% off with student ID
- Inside and outside units
Baytree Self-Storage 1416 Baytree Road (229) 241-7668
Kings Gate Self-Storage 4058 N Valdosta Road (229) 244-4484
- The UPS Store 2470
3338 Country Club Rd Ste L-1 Valdosta, GA 31605
- The UPS Store 2160
1709 Gornto Rd Ste A Valdosta, GA 31601
Services offered at both locations:
Packaging Service (over 70 different size boxes)
Shipping Service (domestic & international)
Package Receiving and Mailbox Services (Private Mailboxes available in 3, 6 or 12 month agreements)