Ed.S. Degree with a Major in Special Education
- Total Credit Hours: 27
- Degree Format: Online
The Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree in Special Education is designed for practicing special educators who hold a master's degree in special education (or related field such as speech language pathology, deaf education, vocational rehabilitation, or adapted physical education) who wish to advance their professional skills in special education. Information and skills in special education acquired and developed at the undergraduate and master’s level in special education are specifically designed for and focused on the provision of services. The Ed.S., however, focuses on knowledge and skills necessary for leadership roles and advanced teaching positions in special education.
What You'll Learn
- use advanced knowledge of special education content areas (appropriate for their certification levels) to serve as advanced teacher/leaders to train other special education teachers .
- use assessment and research to assure data/evidence-based decisions to ensure the continuous development of all learners.
- use research-based practices to create positive learning environments for all learners as advanced teacher/leaders in special education.
- use knowledge of students and their learning to design and plan appropriate learning experiences for all learners.
- Master’s degree in special education (or related area: i.e. speech pathology)
- 20+ hours at master’s level in special education considered
- GAPSC (or reciprocal certification body) teacher certification in special education (or related area)
- Minimum GGPA 3.0 (4.0 scale)
- Minimum GRE 850 overall (Verbal no less than 400)
- Minimum GRE 286 (20ll or later) overall (Verbal no less than 146)
- OR Minimum MAT 390
- Special Education Administrator
- Special Education Coordinator
- Director of programs for individuals with disabilities
- Teacher, T-6 Certification
- Education Center