Online Teaching Endorsement
- Total Credit Hours: 9
- Degree Format: Online
The Online Teaching Endorsement program prepares candidates to plan, design, and deliver instruction in online environments for learners in P-12 settings. The endorsement is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GPSC) and is available for candidates who already hold a valid teaching certificate. The add-on endorsement is based on successful completion of three courses, successful completion of a field-based practicum, and evidence of accomplishment of all items on an Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist.
The VSYOU Difference
Experiential learning, application of knowledge, and the enhancement of professionalism are vital components of each class. The courses are competency-based and require self-evaluation and reflection. You’ll benefit from a highly interactive setting that promotes leadership, collegiality, and communication. The program emphasizes application of acquired knowledge and skills with the completion of a single semester online teaching practicum.
What You'll Learn
The program emphasizes mostly shorter, concentrated courses (7 weeks), taught on a professional development model. Courses are offered on a continuous basis allowing for part-time enrollment (e.g., one course per semester). No campus visits are required to complete the program. Teachers in the program come from a range of classroom settings and subject areas. The expected increase in the number and type of online courses offered in the P-12 educational arena will provide a strong need for professional development in online teaching and course design.
Cost and Length of Program
The prescribed Online Teaching Endorsement course sequence will allow you to complete the course requirements of the program within two semesters. Based on completing nine course hours, the estimated cost of the program is approximately *$2,637, which doesn’t include standard University fees. Some of the fees are waived for online students. We encourage you to compare our cost with any other institution. We think you will be pleasantly surprised to see what a great value VSU is.
- Cost estimation based on Fall 2016 rates. See more details at the Tuition anf Fee Schedules page.
Teachers will be admitted to this program with the same criteria used for on-campus endorsement programs. Students already enrolled in a degree program who are eligible and wish to pursue this endorsement program must submit the Letter of Intent Form to the Graduate School. Other applicants must submit the following to the graduate school:
- Georgia ONmyLINE application for admission to Graduate School
- A $50 application fee, which is non-refundable and must be paid online using a credit or a debit card
- An academic transcript for an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university (at least a 2.5 GPA) * Evidence of a valid, clear/renewable teaching certificate
- The student information section (top of page) and distance learning exemption (bottom of page), on the VSU Medical Form
For additional information, please contact the VSU Graduate School at (229) 333-5694 or by email at email@example.com. All required documents must be submitted prior to close of business on the application deadline. For semester deadlines visit the VSU GOML Calendar.
Submit all documentation to:
Valdosta State University
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, GA 31698-0005
Fax: 229 -245 -3853
- Special Requirements: Must have access to, or be able to gain access to, target learners for the CIED 7603 practicum. This can be completed as a classroom teacher or classroom volunteer.
- Delivery: No campus visits are required to complete the program. Students enrolled in the program will conduct all work in online courses, including team functions, exams, discussion posts, and case studies. Students also have access to academic resources, such as an online library. Courses are mostly asynchronous, but students may participate in videoconferencing for field experience supervision or feedback.
- Technology: Students must have regular access to a computer with a current operating system (Windows or Mac) and high speed internet access. Additional equipment such as headphones and printer may be required. Students must have access to Webcam software and hardware to enable remote classroom observation and conferencing. Additional course specific software may be required.
- Transfer credit: No credits can be transferred from other institutions for this endorsement program.
- Retention/Completion: The maximum time allowed for completion of the endorsement is seven calendar years. Students must successfully complete the endorsement courses with an average grade of “B” or better to be recommended for the endorsement.
Curriculum, Leadership, and Technology Building
1310 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698