Certificate in Online Teaching
- Total Credit Hours: 12
- Degree Format: Online
About this field
The Certificate in Online Teaching program is designed to meet the needs of instructors in many different educational environments. The curriculum is a competence-based, professional development program designed for individuals who teach in online environments outside the P-12 educational setting. This program is not for initial certification. Educators teaching in higher education and training and development professionals in the private or public sectors will gain knowledge and skills for instructional planning, design, and delivery. Experiential learning, application of knowledge, and the enhancement of professionalism are vital components of each class
The Valdosta State Difference
Experiential learning, application of knowledge, and the enhancement of professionalism are vital components of each class. The courses are competency-based and require self-evaluation and reflection. You'll benefit from a highly interactive setting that promotes leadership, collegiality, and communication. The program emphasizes application of acquired knowledge and skills with the completion of a single semester online teaching practicum.
Cost and Length of Program
The prescribed Certificate in Online Teaching course sequence allows you to complete the course requirements of the program within two or three semesters. Based on completing 12 course hours, the estimated cost of the program is approximately *$4,344; this total doesn’t include standard University fees. Some fees are waived for online students. We encourage you to compare our cost with any other institution. We think you will be pleasantly surprised to see what a great value VSU is.
- Cost estimation based on Fall 2021 rates. See more details by visiting the Tuition and Fee Schedules page.
Applicants will be admitted to this program with the same criteria used for on-campus, non-degree programs. Students already enrolled in a degree program who are eligible and wish to pursue this certificate can contact the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Other applicants must submit the following to the graduate school:
- Georgia ONmyLINE application for admission to Graduate School
- A $50 application fee, which is non-refundable and must be paid online using a credit or a debit card
- An academic transcript for an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university (at least a 2.5 GPA)
- The student information section (top of page) and distance learning exemption (bottom of page), on the VSU Medical Form
For additional information, please contact the VSU Graduate School at (229) 333-5694 or by email at email@example.com. All required documents must be submitted prior to close of business on the application deadline. For semester deadlines visit the VSU GOML Calendar.
Submit all documentation to:
Valdosta State University
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, GA 31698-0005
Fax: 229 -245 -3853
- Special Requirements: Must have access to, or be able to gain access to, target learners for the CIED 7603 practicum. This can be completed as a classroom teacher or classroom volunteer.
- Delivery: No campus visits are required to complete the program. Students enrolled in the program will conduct all work in online courses, including team functions, projects, discussion posts, and case studies. Students also have access to academic resources, such as an online library. Courses are mostly asynchronous, but students may participate in videoconferencing for synchronous teaching practice or field experience supervision.
- Technology: Students must have regular access to a computer with a current operating system (Windows or Mac) and high speed internet access. Additional equipment such as headphones and printer may be required. Students must have access to Webcam software and hardware to enable remote classroom observation and conferencing. Additional course-specific software may be required.
- Transfer credit: No credits can be transferred from other institutions for this certificate program.
- Retention/Completion: The maximum time allowed for completion of the certificate is seven calendar years. Students must successfully complete the certificate courses with an average grade of “B” or better.
Curriculum, Leadership, and Technology Building
1310 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698