Online Teaching Endorsement
- Total Credit Hours: 9
- Degree Format: Online
About this field
The Online Teaching Endorsement program prepares candidates to plan, design, and deliver instruction in online environments for learners in P-12 settings. The endorsement is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GPSC) and is available for candidates who already hold a valid teaching certificate. The add-on endorsement is based on successful completion of three courses, successful completion of a field-based practicum, and evidence of accomplishment of all items on an Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist.
The Valdosta State Difference
Experiential learning, application of knowledge, and the enhancement of professionalism are vital components of each class. The courses are competency-based and require self-evaluation and reflection. You’ll benefit from a highly interactive setting that promotes leadership, collegiality, and communication. The program emphasizes application of acquired knowledge and skills with the completion of a single semester online teaching practicum.
What You'll Learn
The program emphasizes mostly shorter, concentrated courses (7 weeks), taught on a professional development model. Courses are offered on a continuous basis allowing for part-time enrollment (e.g., one course per semester). No campus visits are required to complete the program. Teachers in the program come from a range of classroom settings and subject areas. The expected increase in the number and type of online courses offered in the P-12 educational arena will provide a strong need for professional development in online teaching and course design.
Cost and Length of Program
The prescribed Online Teaching Endorsement course sequence will allow you to complete the course requirements of the program within two semesters. Based on completing nine course hours, the estimated cost of the program is approximately *$3,465, which doesn’t include standard University fees. Some of the fees are waived for online students. We encourage you to compare our cost with any other institution. We think you will be pleasantly surprised to see what a great value VSU is.
- Cost estimation based on Fall 2021 rates. See more details at the Tuition and Fee Schedules page.
- Special Requirements: Must have access to, or be able to gain access to, target learners for the CIED 7603 practicum. This can be completed as a classroom teacher or classroom volunteer.
- Delivery: No campus visits are required to complete the program. Students enrolled in the program will conduct all work in online courses, including team functions, projects, discussion posts, and case studies. Students also have access to academic resources, such as an online library. Courses are mostly asynchronous, but students may participate in videoconferencing for synchronous teaching practice or field experience supervision.
- Technology: Students must have regular access to a computer with a current operating system (Windows or Mac) and high speed internet access. Additional equipment such as headphones and printer may be required. Students must have access to Webcam software and hardware to enable remote classroom observation and conferencing. Additional course specific software may be required.
- Transfer credit: No credits can be transferred from other institutions for this endorsement program.
- Retention/Completion: The maximum time allowed for completion of the endorsement is seven calendar years. Students must successfully complete the endorsement courses with an average grade of “B” or better to be recommended for the endorsement.
Curriculum, Leadership, and Technology Building
1310 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698