M.Ed. Degree with a Major in Health and Physical Education
- Total Credit Hours: 33
- Degree Format: Online
About this field
Degree programs in the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education prepare students for professional careers in health and physical education (teacher education). The Master of Education degree (M.Ed.) with a major in health and physical education prepares students to teach health and physical education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. This program gives students a solid foundation in health and physical education both in and out of the classroom. Students engage in invaluable fieldwork, interacting with public school children in a variety of grades and settings. Students have access to a number of technologies, including heart rate monitors, pedometers, LiveText, and various forms of software applicable to public school health and physical education instruction. The graduate teacher education program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
The Valdosta State Difference
Students are encouraged to join the Health and Physical Education Majors’ Club, an organization in which members motivate each other, share new and innovative teaching strategies, and work together to positively impact the community by promoting healthy living and physical activity.
Dr. Han Chen
Summer Semester: February 15
This program does not admit for Spring or Fall semesters. Starting in Summer 2019, the M.Ed. PE will have a deadline of February 15.
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) is required for graduation. No grade below a “C” will be credited toward the degree.
- Students must submit an application for graduation one semester prior to their expected graduation date.
- Students will complete the College of Education Advanced Teacher Self-Assessment Instrument.
- Students will complete an advanced portfolio.
Program Retention, Dismissal, and Readmission
- The maximum time allowed for completion of the master’s degree is seven calendar years. No work completed more than seven years prior to degree completion will be accepted toward the degree, except with special permission from the student’s major profession, Dean of the College of Education, and approval from the Dean of the Graduate School.
- No more than 6 semester hours of academic work may be transferred from another institution into a College of Education graduate program. Transfer credit will be evaluation after admission by the academic department.
- Earning grades below “B” in graduate courses will result in the following consequences: Students admitted Fall 2011 and thereafter will be dismissed from the Graduate School if they accumulate three or more academic deficiency points unless otherwise indicated by individual program policy. A grade of “C” (although it may be credited toward a degree) equals one deficiency point. A grade of “D,” “WF” or “F,” or “U” (none of which will be credited toward a degree) equals two deficiency points. Candidates admitted BEFORE Fall 2011 and receiving two grades below “C” (“D”, “F”, “WF”,“U”) will be dismissed from the program. One grade below a "C" results in a warning.
- If dismissed from the program a student must not be enrolled for two semesters. Application for readmission may be initiated during the second semester. Readmission is not guaranteed, and prior academic performance and student conduct/disposition in the program will be considered. The academic program reserves the right to place specific conditions and contingencies on any offer of readmission.
- Candidates (regardless of status) who have been admitted to the M.Ed. degree program in health and physical education at VSU who take coursework outside this M.Ed. program may not apply that coursework toward the M.Ed. degree in health and physical education.
- Athletic Director
- Certified Health Educator
- Certified Physical Education Teacher
- Community Center Athletic Director
- Community Recreation Director
- Corporate Trainer
- Dance Instructor
- Nutrition Instructor
- Sports Camp Director
- Sports Camp Instructor
- Wellness Coordinator
- Wellness Instructor
- Education Center
301 Baytree Road
Valdosta, GA 31698