B.S.Ed. Degree with a Major in Elementary Education
- Total Credit Hours: 129
- Degree Format: Traditional
About this field
The structure of the Bachelor of Science in Education with a major in Elementary Education is to prepare teacher candidates to teach and support students in pre-kindergarten through 5th grade in the field of elementary education. With passing of the applicable state-required content and performance-based assessments, the major in elementary education results in a Georgia Professional Standards Commission Certificate of Eligibility for an Induction certificate in elementary education (P-5).
The Valdosta State Difference
The elementary education program is designed to prepare professional educators who manifest the knowledge, dispositions, and competencies necessary to enhance P-5 students’ overall intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and personal growth and development. The design of the program includes a variety of methods and content courses in which hands-on activities are included. These courses are supported by structured field experiences designed to provide opportunities to meld theory with practice in field-based interactions with P-5 students in general education and inclusive settings.
What You'll Learn
Program graduates are to demonstrate the following: an acceptable level of content knowledge by having passed the state-required content and performance-based assessments; an acceptable level of teaching competency for an extended period of time during the clinical practice experience by planning, delivering, and assessing appropriate instruction for students who represent a diverse population and who are in public school settings; integration of technology into instruction, assessment, and communication; pedagogical content knowledge and knowledge of evidence-based strategies by having developed unit and lesson plans, identifying use of research-validated procedures, and demonstrating effective content pedagogy; skills in assessment, implementation of instructional strategies, use of technology, and monitoring and modifying instruction during observed teaching episodes evaluated by a university supervisor and P-5 mentor teacher; characteristics of reflective practitioners by evaluating the effects of choices and actions on others (students, families, and other professionals in the learning community); and the ability to positively impact P-5 learning.
Students must be admitted to Teacher Education to enroll in professional education course work. Students must meet the following requirements to be admitted to Teacher Education:
- declared a major leading to teacher certification.
- earned at least 45 semester hours.
- maintained at least an overall 2.75 GPA - students are required to maintain an overall 2.75 GPA or higher initially to enroll in professional education courses and continue to progress through the professional program.
- passed or exempted the GACE Program Admission Assessment or the GACE Basic Skills Assessment.
- successfully completed the Georgia Professional Standards Commission Educator Ethics-Program Entry Assessment.
- successfully complete the “ELED 2999 Entry to the Education Profession” course. Students should enroll in the course the semester following the successful completion of 45 hours. Students should continue to enroll in the “2999” course each semester until an “S” grade is achieved.
The following requirements must be met for students to earn a grade of "S" in ELED 2999:
- hold a valid GaPSC Pre-service Certificate - the Georgia Professional Standards Commission requires that all teacher candidates hold a valid Pre-service Certificate in the field in which the candidate is being prepared in order to complete field experiences and clinical practice in P-12 schools
- have earned a grade of "C" or higher in ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102; credit by exam assumes a grade of "C" or higher.
- maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.75.
- maintain professional liability insurance.
- meet all LiveText requirements.
- General Education Teacher P-5
- Education Center
301 Baytree Road
Valdosta, GA 31698