PowerPoint Presentation Guidelines and Information
Upon receiving your acceptance email, please use these guidelines to prepare your PowerPoint for the symposium.
- The PowerPoint presentation must be related to the research materials covered in the submitted abstract.
- Presentations must be about 12 minutes long
- Be prepared to answer discussion questions at the end of your presentation
- Presenters can follow this general guideline for the slide order
- Title Page
- Research Question
- Literature Review (3 or more slides)
- Data and Methods (1-2 slides)
- Hypotheses (1-2 slides)
- Data variables (1-2 slides)
- Findings (as needed)
General tips for preparation of the PowerPoint presentation
- Take time to practice going through the entire PowerPoint multiple times
- You are allowed notecards during the presentation, so if needed, make short notes so that they can help you remember what you want to say
- Make eye contact with the audience during your presentation
POWERPOINT DESIGN TIPS
The following tips/suggestions have been prepared to help improve the effectiveness of oral communication:
- You have complete freedom in displaying your research materials in various forms of text, figures, charts, schematics, and photographs. However, the text/graphs must be readable/visible from 6 feet (2 meters) away.
- The PowerPoint should provide enough materials to explain the research to an audience that has limited knowledge of your topic.
- The materials should stimulate discussion and initiate questions.
- You can use different font sizes and colors to draw attention. For example, one can use the font types of “Helvetica” for headers and “Times” for the main text of the slides.
- Use high-resolution photographs.
- Avoid overwhelming viewers with too much information.
- Be clear and concise in all statements.
For additional information about the poster presentations at the VSU Undergraduate Research Symposium please contact Dr. Lovanna Lovern at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or our Graduate Assistant Yanet Garcia at email@example.com.