Application Guidelines - H.W. Wilson Travel AwardsThanks to the generous support from the H. W. Wilson Company, the Master of Library and Information Science program is able to provide funds for travel to those MLIS students involved in activities related to the profession as outlined in the guidelines below.
A. Activities that Qualify (include but are not limited to):
1. Serving as a delegate at a conference
2. Giving a presentation or speech
3. Serving on a panel
4. Presiding over a meeting
5. Accepting an award
B. Submitting an Application
1. Submit a cover letter to the director of the MLIS program that includes:
-A description of the activity and your involvement
-Name of the professional organization sponsoring the activity
-Documentation of your acceptance
-Dates of travel
-For a monetary award, give amount awarded
-Any other funding you are receiving
2. Your letter of application must be post-marked with a date prior to the activity for which funding is requested.
3. Arrange for a letter of endorsement from a faculty member in the VSU MLIS faculty to be sent to the Department Head.
4. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail your cover letter to:
Dr. Linda Most, Interim Department Head
MLIS Program, Odum Library
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
5. There are two deadline dates. Select one: September 1, February 15.
1. The MLIS Awards and Scholarship Committee will review the applications.
2. Each travel award applicant will receive a letter either approving or denying the request for funding.
D. Procedures for Disbursement
For reimbursement, mail or fax your travel receipts to the MLIS program director’s office. The MLIS Foundation will issue a check only after verification of travel receipts.