Social Work at VSU
Mission, Goal, and Objectives of the Department of Social Work at Valdosta State University
The mission of the Department of Social Work is to promote a diverse and accepting learning community and professional culture which includes students, faculty, staff, and community stakeholders at local, regional, state, national and international levels. Through teaching, scholarship, service, advocacy and leadership we strive to: improve individual well-being and social welfare with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of populations that are oppressed, vulnerable, and living in poverty; advance social and environmental justice; advocate for human rights; and promote respect for human differences. Further, through field and other educational experiences, we prepare advanced generalist practitioners who engage in ethical and culturally sensitive practice that is informed by theory, research, and practice wisdom. Through supervision, consultation, and professional collaboration these practitioners critically evaluate, shape, and are shaped by the social work practice environment.
Master of Social Work Program’s Vision Statement
“A creative environment offering practical, solution-oriented approaches for education, practice, and research.”
Master of Social Work Program Goals
The Master of Social Work Program goals have been modified since the 2010 Reaffirmation. Specifically, these goals reflect the increasing sense of clarity regarding our mission and goals as well as the growth of the social work profession in this region and beyond. The seven goals of the Department of Social Work are as follows:
- To prepare students to engage in informed, systematic, and self-directed advanced generalist practice at multiple levels.
- To create a unique learning environment in which students are able to identify with the profession and learn to assume professional leadership roles in which they can begin to shape their professional environment.
- To prepare students for practice at increasing levels of complexity, using specialized theories and practice methods that enable students to maintain attention to balanced practice.
- To prepare students to practice with respect and with the knowledge, values, and skills that are appropriate for the range of human differences in order to implement effective intervention strategies.
- To develop and strengthen ongoing collaboration with helping systems in the community and region to facilitate the advancement of social work knowledge, skills, and values, and the promotion of policies and services that match the ideals of social justice.
- To provide support and professional development to human service practitioners within the region as well as to contribute to the advancement of the profession through the generation of social work knowledge through scholarship, service, teaching, professional affiliations, and opportunities for life-long learning.
- To seek an increasingly diverse group of applicants who wish to pursue the field of social work and to create a creative, diverse learning environment in which students learn to value human differences and learn to practice within the values and ethics of the profession.