Online Teaching Endorsement
The Online Teaching Endorsement program prepares candidates to plan, design, and deliver instruction in online environments for learners in P-12 settings. The endorsement is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GPSC) and is available for candidates who already hold a valid teaching certificate. The add-on endorsement is based on successful completion of three courses, successful completion of a field-based practicum, and evidence of accomplishment of all items on an Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist.
The program emphasizes mostly shorter, concentrated courses (7 weeks), taught on a professional development model. Courses are offered on a continuous basis allowing for part-time enrollment (e.g., one course per semester). No campus visits are required to complete the program. Teachers in the program come from a range of classroom settings and subject areas. The expected increase in the number and type of online courses offered in the P-12 educational arena will provide a strong need for professional development in online teaching and course design.
Experiential learning, application of knowledge, and the enhancement of professionalism are vital components of each class. The courses are competency-based and require self-evaluation and reflection. Students benefit from a highly interactive setting that promotes leadership, collegiality, and communication skills. The program emphasizes application of acquired knowledge and skills with the completion of a one semester online teaching practicum.
Educators seeking credentialing for online teaching in higher education or other settings should consider the Certificate in Online Teaching program.
- Special Requirements: Must have access to, or be able to gain access to, target learners for the CIED 7603 practicum. This can be completed as a classroom teacher or classroom volunteer.
- Delivery: No campus visits are required to complete the program. Students enrolled in the program will conduct all work in online courses, including team functions, exams, discussion posts, and case studies. Students also have access to academic resources, such as an online library. Courses are asynchronous, but students may participate in videoconferencing for field experience supervision or feedback.
- Technology: Students must have regular access to a computer with a current operating system (Windows or Mac) and high speed internet access. Additional peripherals such as headphones and printer may be required. Students must have access to Webcam software and hardware to enable remote classroom observation and conferencing. Additional course specific software may be required.
- Transfer credit: No credits can be transferred from other institutions for this endorsement program.
- Cost: Please see the Fees / Aid link for details.
- Financial Aid: Not available for this program .
- Retention/Completion: The maximum time allowed for completion of the endorsement is seven calendar years. Students must successfully complete the endorsement courses with an average grade of “B” or better to be recommended for the endorsement.
Teachers will be admitted to this program with the same criteria used for on-campus endorsement programs. Students already enrolled in a degree program who are eligible and also wish to pursue this endorsement program must complete and submit to the Graduate School this Letter of Intent Form. Other applicants must submit the following to the graduate school:
- Georgia ONmyLINE application for graduate admission to the VSU Graduate School
- Application fee, which is non-refundable and must be paid online using a credit or a debit card
- Academic transcript for an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university, at least a 2.75 GPA
- Evidence of a valid, clear/renewable teaching certificate
- The student information section (top of page) and distance learning exemption (bottom of page), on the VSU Medical Form.
The coursework for this program is offered completely online. The semester courses begin and end on specific dates, and work is due as assigned; activity and work deadlines are published in the course syllabi. The length of the program semester will vary from shorter sessions (7 weeks) to 13 weeks. CIED 7601 and CIED 7602 may be taken in any order, but both must be taken prior to CIED 7603, which is not offered in the summer. Courses are offered on a rotating basis. Students may enter the program during any semester. All courses:
- require students to build and manage a module of varying complexity,
- require students to build a syllabus, and
- require students to build and maintain a best practices knowledge management system including reflection, self-assessment, and Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist. CIED 7601 and 7602 require students to act as both teacher and learner and employ Weekly Scenarios as instruction/assessments.
|CIED 7601: Course Management Systems for E-Learning||
|CIED 7602: Resources and Strategies for E-Learning||
|CIED 7603: Design and Delivery of Instruction for E-Learning||
TOTAL Semester Hour Credits:
CIED 7601 Course Management Systems for E-Learning
The study and ethical practice of facilitating online learning through integrated course management systems. CIED 7601 uses Digital Citizenship concepts and NETS-S as organizing content, requires design of a peer-level learning module, and emphasizes technology expertise, student/instructor/parent communications, legal issues and ethics, assessment, and feedback.
CIED 7602 Resources and Strategies for E-Learning
Practical experiences in selection, implementation, and evaluation of digital resources for teaching and learning. CIED 7602 uses GPS as organizing content, requires design of a simulated P-12 level learning module, emphasizes areas of standards-based teaching, online teaching and learning strategies, web-based resources, P-12 learning object repositories, multi-media resources, authentic assessment, and evaluation of online resources.
CIED 7603 Design and Delivery of Instruction for E-Learning
Supervised online field-based experience in design, delivery, and evaluation of standards based content to an appropriate student population. CIED 7603 templates ISD process, and has supervised implementation of module with pre-test, post-test, and evidence of use of student data.