Research Equipment & Facilities
The Chemistry Department is housed in the 163,000 sq. ft., $27.9 million Hugh C. Bailey Science Center. Opened in 2001 and later expanded in 2012, the Bailey Science Center contains all Chemistry faculty offices, teaching labs, research labs, support facilities, and several classrooms.
The Chemistry Department maintains high-quality teaching and research laboratories in the Bailey Science Center. A stockroom and prep room support our students enrolled in teaching lab courses with glassware, equipment, and chemicals. Instrumentation labs, a roof-top greenhouse, and a walk-in cold room augment the research and teaching facilities. A computer lab is available for students to study and access advanced computational software which you can use in courses and research. Our chemistry student study lounge and conference room promote collaborations and community.
All students, even in our first-year chemistry courses, gain hands-on experience using common lab instrumentation such as pH meters, colorimeters, and various chemical sensors. Research instrumentation is available for chemistry majors to use in upper-level courses. Major instrumentation includes:
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectrometry
- Agilent 400 MHz FT NMR
- Anasazi EFT-60 MHz FT NMR
- Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectrophotometry
- Jasco FTIR 4600
- Jasco FTIR 4100
- Perkin-Elmer Spectra FTIR and Raman
- Ultraviolet-Visible (UV/vis) and Fluorescence Spectrophotometry
- Shimadzu 3600 UV/vis Spectrophotometer
- Jasco V-630 UV/vis/NIR Spectrophotometers
- PTI LPS-220 Fluorimeter
- Chromatography (GC and HPLC) and Mass Spectrometry
- Shimadzu HPLC-MS
- Agilent 1260 Infinity HPLC
- Agilent 7890B GC
- Agilent 5975C GCMS
- HP 5971 GCMS
- X-Ray Diffractometry (XRD)
- Rigaku Miniflex powder XRD
- Elemental Analysis
- Thermo Scientific 3000 AA Spectrometer
- Perkin Elmer DSC 8000
- Perkin Elmer TGA 7 Thermogravimetric Analyzer
Other research equipment is shared with the Biology Department, also located in the Bailey Science Center. Machine shop and electronics shop facilities are available on campus.
3025 Bailey Science Center
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5798