Tutors may be added to the system at any time.
In addition to the free tutoring the Academic Support Center provides for VSU students, we also offer one-on-one tutoring to the local community. This service can be provided on or off campus, at a mutually agreed upon place by the tutor and tutee (we recommend a public location such as a public library or the university library).
Schedule a community tutor online
All Community Tutoring sessions cost $19.80/hour.
We recommend that tutoring occur in public locations such as the local library or the university library. Location should be in a mutually agreed upon location between tutor and tutee.
Badges that indicate training and experience
The scheduling software provided through Tutor Matching Service allows for badges to be issued to tutors based on their qualifications. We encourage clients to familiarize themselves with each of the badges
- Level I: This indicates that the tutor has received at least 10 hours of training, and has completed at least 25 hours of actual tutoring.
- Level II: This indicates that after completing all requirements for Level I Tutor, the tutor has completed 10 additional hours of training, focused on supporting diverse types of students and supporting students better within their subject area(s). The tutor has also completed at least an additional 25 hours of tutoring, bringing their total to at least 50 hours of tutoring.
- Level III: This indicates that after completing all requirements for Level II Tutor, the tutor has completed 10 additional hours of training, focused on Academic Support Center operations and mentoring and leadership within the tutor profession. The tutor has also competed at least 25 additional hours of tutoring, bringing their total to at least 75 hours of tutoring.
Feedback and Refunds
Your feedback is important to us as we constantly strive to improve our services. You are encouraged to provide feedback using the following procedure:
- Feedback forms within Tutor Matching Service (TMS): After each session, TMS will ask you to rate the service you received. This rating is important to other students who are trying to determine which tutor they would like to work with.
The Academic Support Center and Tutor Matching Service provides a 100% guarantee on the quality of the services provided. This means that you have up to 48 hours after the tutoring session to request a full refund if you feel that the services provided were unsatisfactory. Requests for refunds are processed through TMS.
- Transportation to and from all tutoring sessions is the client's responsibility.
- Neither the Academic Support Center nor the tutors can guarantee any grade based on working with a tutor.
- Tutors are expected to maintain academic integrity.
- Tutors not associated with the Academic Support Center may not post their services on the Tutor Matching Service site. Only tutors with one or more badges from the Academic Support Center have been trained and supervised to the standards of the Academic Support Center badged tutors.
Academic Support Center
Odum Library, 2nd floor
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698 (next to Circulation)
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.7570
- Fax: 229.333.7579
Mon-Thur: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
Find us on social media!