Transient Students

Students that plan on enrolling in courses at another institution other than Valdosta State University must follow the steps below to ensure that their financial aid funds will be available for the term they wish to be a transient student:

  1. Complete - Transient Permission Form
  2. Apply for Admission at Host Institution
  3. Complete the financial aid process at VSU. (For Summer financial, aid you must also complete the online Summer Financial Aid application.)
  4. Do NOT complete this request form unless you have been awarded financial aid for the term of which you are applying to be a transient student
  5. Register for courses at Host Institution
  6. HOPE Eligible Students - select HOPE Only or Both below
  7. Pay all fees due at Host Institution
  8. HOPE eligible students will pay any balance due that HOPE will not pay (Please be advised, if your current cumulative GPA is 3.59 or below, your request will not be processed until the end of the semester). 
  9. Submit the form below to request a Consortium Agreement to be faxed to Host Institution (A Consortium Agreement is a form that we send to the Host Institution for verification of hours enrolled at Host Institution).  DO NOT submit the form below until you have registered for courses at your Host Institution
  10. Contact Wanda Stracener or Donnell Davis in the VSU OFA at 1-800-618-1878 or 229-333-5935 one week after you have registered for your course(s) to be sure the Host Institution responded to VSU Office of Financial Aid request
  11. Refund of VSU financial aid will be disbursed to the student during the scheduled disbursement dates for each semester. (Summer disbursements will occur at the end of June)

Your Pell Grant award in BANNER is calculated at full-time enrollment (12 hrs). Your Pell Grant will be prorated according to the hours of enrollment. Student’s that are awarded loan funds must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate (5 graduate) semester hours. Students must pay any fees that they incur at the Host Institution by the fee payment deadline for the Host Institution. VSU will not send your financial aid to your Host Institution to pay your tuition and fees.

HOPE Transient: This form is for VSU students wishing to be transient to another University System of Georgia institution.  If you are a transient student to VSU, please contact your home institution and request a HOPE transient certificate be sent to VSU.

If your current cumulative GPA is 3.6 or higher and once the request has been acknowledged by the Office of Financial Aid, your request will be processed and sent to the “host” institution within 24 hours. It’s a good idea to check with the Office of Financial Aid at the “host” institution to make sure the certificate is received. If not, please contact the VSU Office of Financial Aid, and we will follow up on the status of your request.

Please be advised, if your current cumulative GPA is 3.59 or below, your request will not be processed until the end of the semester. Due to HOPE Scholarship regulations, all GPA’s must be reviewed at the end of the semester that you attempt 30, 60 or 90 hours, and also at the end of each spring. If requesting for summer HOPE transient status, once spring grades are posted and you meet the 3.0 or higher GPA requirement, we will forward the HOPE Transient Certificate to the “host” institution indicating that you are HOPE eligible. Because the fees at the “host” institution may be due before grades are available, you may need to plan to pay your fees up front and be reimbursed by the “host” institution. At the end of the semester, you will need to make arrangements with the “host” institution to have your transcript(s) sent back to the VSU Office of Admissions.

If you fail to meet the GPA requirement of a 3.0 at one of the check points, you can regain the HOPE Scholarship at the next check point (30, 60 or 90 hours attempted hours) as long as your GPA is 3.0 or higher. For a complete review of the HOPE Scholarship Regulations, visit the Georgia Student Finance Commissions web site

If you have not already done so, contact the VSU Office of the Registrar at (229) 333-5727, and request the Transient Permission Form. This form is required by the VSU Office of the Registrar and is necessary to make sure your classes attempted at your “host” institution will be transferred and/or accepted back to VSU.

Please fill out ALL of the fields below.

  • HOPE Only
    Pell and / or Loans
    Both (HOPE and Pell and / or Loans)
  • Security Captcha: *
  • 229.333.5935
  • Campus Address
    University Center Entrance #6 & #7
    Room 1400
    1500 N. Patterson St.
    Valdosta, Georgia 31698
    • 229-245-6538
  • Mailing Address
    1500 N. Patterson St.
    Valdosta, GA 31698
  • Monday-Thursday: 8 am - 5:30 pm

    Friday: 8 am - 3 pm