MESA is a faculty/staff led committee that serve the Hispanic students at VSU. Our role is to provide resources, services, and connections to Hispanic students through mentorship, engagement, support, and academic achievement. The purpose of MESA includes:
- Develop activities to promote student engagement amongst themselves, the university and the community at-large.
- Organize group and individual academic assistance programs.
- Inform and provide resources to support Hispanic students personal and economic well-being.
- Increase visibility of contributions Hispanic Students make to the university and community through publications and events.
Each letter of the acronym represents a component of MESA with each having its own subcommittee: Mentor, Engage, Support, and Achieve.
Please contact Phenix Culbertson via email@example.com or (229)333-5942 to learn more and get involved with MESA!
Learn about MESA
MESA Scholarship for VSU Hispanic Students
MESA Scholarship for Hispanic Students
The $300 scholarship(s) will be awarded for Fall 2021 semester.
The deadline to submit fully completed application is Friday, March 12, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed by MESA Scholarship Committee and the recipient will be announced on Friday, May 7, 2021.
- The student should be a registered Hispanic VSU undergraduate student per Banner and;
- have a cumulative VSU Institutional GPA of 3.5 or above and;
- have a minimum of 30 earned VSU credit hours by the end of Spring 2021 semester and;
- be enrolled for Fall 2021 semester in good standing with the university.
- Submit application and personal statement to https://tinyurl.com/mesascholarship or QR code and;
- Write personal statement of at least 500 words explaining your career plan/goals, how the scholarship will be beneficial to your academic success, and earned achievements/characteristics that distinguish you from other students and;
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from faculty/staff at VSU with at least 1 letter from a previous professor (The letter should include how student has demonstrated outstanding scholastic achievement and ability. Faculty/staff should email letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact email@example.com for additional info.
Scan QR Code!
MESA Mentorship Program
Students: Sign up for a MESA Mentor!
A MESA Mentor is a faculty/staff member who will meet with you monthly and/or as needed to assist with your academic, social, and extracurricular success at VSU.
SIGN-UP FORM: https://tinyurl.com/MESAMentee
Faculty/Staff: Sign up to be a MESA Mentor & Join the Committee!
As a mentor, you will be assigned 1-2 students and meet with them monthly and/or as needed to assist with their academic, social, and extracurricular success at VSU.
SIGN-UP FORM: https://tinyurl.com/MESAMentor
Thank you to our current MESA Mentorship Program participants!
- Dr. Gwen Scott Ruttencutter
- Dr. Hoa Nguyen
- Dr. James Martinez
- Dr. Linda de la Garza
- Dr. Meagan Arrastia-Chisholm
- Dr. Nandan Kumar Jha
- Dr. Terence Sullivan
- Kevin Overlaur
- Lizbeth Heath
- Nicole Bustos
- Octavio Aguado
- Sandra P. Barrios
- Yvonne LeRoy-Landers
- Daisy Avelar
- Diana Hernandez
- Flavio Cesar Cano
- Jair Portillo
- Jean Lopez
- Joanna Olguin
- Maria Herrera
- Selena Chavez-Gomez
- Tecquitla Scott
- Yaritzi Flores
Engagement Subcommittee Chair: Erica Chaviano
List of related cultural student organizations
- Please access Blazerlink Presence to view student organizations and contact to learn how to get involved. https://valdosta.presence.io/organizations
- Caribbean Student Association
- College Assistant Migrant Program
- Latin American Student Association
- Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Incorporated
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority
- Society of International Students
- Spanish Club
- Student Government Association (all cultures)
- Campus Activities Board (all cultures)
Pachanga! Inclusive Latinx Festival
Not Hidden Figures: A Workshop on Diversity & Inclusion in Undergraduate Research
Collaboratively hosted by MESA & Blazer Summer Research Institute Steering Committee
Consejos from Across the Industries: Tips for Success
Educational Opportunities & Success, Guest Speaker Representative Brenda Lopez Romero (First Latina Lawmaker in Georgia Legislature)
Moving Forward: Tools for Success, Guest Speaker Ricardo Munoz
Academic & Career Workshop Collaboration with MESA, Career Opportunities & Academic Support Center
Queer Migrations and the Latinx Television Reboot
Salsa on the Lawn
Selling the Value of Diversity & Language to Employers
Support Subcommittee Chair: Dr. Meagan Arrastia-Chisholm
Sign up for the fall 2021 Scholarship
Application deadline: March 12
Recipients announced: May 7
$300 Awarded for Fall 2021
- Registered Hispanic VSU undergraduate student per Banner
- Cumulative VSU Institutional GPA of 3.50+
- Minimum of 30 earned VSU credit hours by end of Spring 2021
- Enrolled for Fall 2021 semester in good standing with University
- Submit the application & personal statement to https://tinyurl.com/MESAscholarship
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from VSU faculty/staff with at least 1 from the previous professor. Faculty/staff should email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship Recipients Fall 2020
Achieve Subcommittee Chair: Dr. Terence Sullivan
Please access the following resources to augment you academic and career achievement.
- President, Mentor Subcommittee Chair: Phenix Culbertson, email@example.com
- President Elect, Engage Subcommittee Chair: Erica Chaviano, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past President: Dr. Linda de la Garza, email@example.com
- Treasurer, Support Subcommittee Chair: Dr. Meagan Arrastia-Chisholm, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary, Achieve Subcommittee Chair: Dr. Terence Sullivan, email@example.com
- Marketing Intern: Vaclav Cernosek, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact MESA - email@example.com
- YouTube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAM4M0GUPxf-29YHFGlcRMw
- Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/vsu_mesa/
- Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/vsumesa
- Twitter- https://twitter.com/vsu_mesa
1500 N. Patterson St. University Center Entrance 5 Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- M-TH 8am - 5:30pm and Friday 8am-3pm. Email and/phone calls responded to within 24hrs. Thank you for your patience.