VSU offers free access to Skillport for all students, faculty & staff!
Download the app and take Skillport with you wherever you go!
You can read books on your phone using Skillport's Books 24/7!
Access short videos and make the most of your downtime!
Valdosta State University offers free access to Skillsoft and Books 24x7 for all students, faculty and staff.
Skillsoft is a leading provider of e-learning and performance support solutions for organizations, including higher education institutions. Skillsoft offers a full library of resources to create customized learning plans by topic or goal.
Skillsoft is an online learning portal to tools that enhance users’ business and technical skills. Resources in Skillsoft include courses, books, simulations, exams and videos. Skillsoft allows users to view e-learning content at their own pace and time.
VSU has access to Skillsoft’s business skills, IT skills and desktop skills collections.
Examples of Courses
- VSU Training: Customizable learning plans, VSU policies and travel procedures, and VSU annual compliance.
- Business skills: Human resources, management, communications, team building, finance and accounting, administrative support and project management.
- Desktop skills: Adobe, Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Office 2010, Apple Mac OS X, Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 8, social networking.
- IT skills: Web design, software development, operating systems and server technologies.
Skillsoft also prepares participants to earn certifications for business skills, IT skills and desktop skills. Skillsoft offers courses and test prep materials for participants to take specified certification exams.
After completing the Skillsoft training materials, participants would be responsible for scheduling and payment arrangements to take an exam offered by a certification agency, such as Microsoft, Cisco or PMI. Skillsoft advises participants to contact certification agencies in advance to ensure their learning materials are the latest requirements necessary to earn certification.
Examples of certifications
- Business certifications: ASQ (Six Sigma and CMQ/OE), Project Management Institute (PMI), Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA).
- Desktop certifications: Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), Microsoft Office 2007 specialist and Microsoft Office 2010 specialist.
- IT professional certifications: Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, VMware, Linux Professional Institute (LPI), CompTIA, Information Systems Examinations Board (ISEB).
What is Books 24x7?
Books 24x7 includes thousands of online titles that users may access. New titles are added weekly. Books 24x7 sends users an email every week with a list of new titles.
Users may bookmark and annotate key sections within books for tracking, and create personal folders to organize titles by interest or project.