Other Policies

Summer Semester Teaching

Regular contracts are for a ten-month term and do not include assurance of Summer Semester teaching. Assignments for teaching in the Summer Semester are generally at the discretion of the depart­ment, with the approval of the appropriate academic Dean or Director and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Faculty members will normally be paid ten percent of their ten-month contract salaries for the previous academic year for each course of three semester hours taught in the Summer Semester (or 3 1/3% per credit hour). Faculty members may occasionally be assigned the equivalent number of hours for performing other duties as requested during the Summer Semester.


The duties of faculty are determined by each institution in the University System of Georgia. The Board of Regents' policies specify that the teaching load to be carried by each member of the faculty is one of the proper functions of the academic authorities at each institution. (Board of Regents' Policy Manual, Section 301). It is recognized that the average faculty member's duties are complex and entail far more than strictly classroom and laboratory activities. A reduction in the instructional load may be allowed on the recommendation of the department head and with the approval of the Dean or Director of the College/Division and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

A faculty member who engages in research or in some other approved activity may be given credit for a part of his or her teaching load. Teaching a graduate course or courses may also serve to reduce this load. In addition, Department Heads and other faculty members undertaking substantial administrative duties may be permitted to teach lighter loads.

Overload Teaching Extra Compensation

On occasion, members of the faculty may be paid to teach extra classes on an overload basis. The Board of Regents has approved extra compensation for such activity, as well as for participat­ing in programs that are not considered part of normal duties, when all of the following conditions exist:

  1. The work is carried in addition to a normal full load.

  2. No qualified person is available to perform the work as part of a normal load.

  3. The work produces sufficient income to be self-supporting.

  4. The additional duties must not be so heavy as to interfere with the performance of regular duties.

  5. The additional duties and remuneration have received prior approval from the Board of Regents.

The Board also specifies that faculty are not eligible for extra compensation if they are on reduced teaching load for research or special assignment, if they are in writing stages for an advanced degree, or if such overload is not approved by the department head or dean. A reduced teaching load in order to perform other university duties, such as directing a program or serving part-time in another capacity, is not considered released time. (Board of Regents' Policy Manual, 803.1404)

Leave of Absence

The President of the University may, with the approval of the Chancellor and the Board of Regents, grant leaves of absence, with or without pay, to members of the faculty and administrative staff.

Leaves with pay shall be granted only for the purpose of promoting scholarly work and encouraging professional development. No leaves will ordinarily be granted until a person has been an employee of the University for a period of three years. The amount and duration of the stipend will depend upon funds available. ( Board of Regents' Policy Manual, Section 802.07.04).

For information regarding Military Leave With Pay, see the Board of Regents' Policy Manual, Section 802.07.05.

Leave with pay application (Word) (Pdf)


Faculty members may travel at state expense for professional improvement or by specific assignment to fulfill an institutional obligation. Requests for authorization to travel should be submitted on the appropriate forms two weeks prior to the expected date of departure. Such requests require the approval of the Department Head, the Dean or Director of the appropriate College/Division, and the budget officer in the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Specific authorizations are necessary for individuals making only occasional trips and for all out of state travel. Those who are required to travel regularly in state may receive standing authorization for travel.

The University reimburses for expenses incurred in making approved trips according to the following procedure:

  1. Expenses must be itemized in detail on the Travel Expense Statement.

  2. Receipts for hotel bills must be attached to the request for reimbursement.

  3. Travel by private automobile is reimbursed at the approved rate per mile. The reverse side of the Travel Expense Statement must be completed as to the details of places visited and mileage.

  4. Transportation by commercial airlines will be by minimum fare service. Ticket stubs must be submitted as evidence of the expenditure.

  5. Receipts for meals and taxi fare are not required, but such expenditures are expected to remain reasonable.

  6. There is a daily maximum allowance for food costs which includes tax. When banquets and dinners at association meetings are attended, higher meal costs will be accepted if a receipt is attached to the Travel Expense Statement. Additionally, if expenditures for meals should exceed the daily maximum allowance when traveling in a high cost area, reimbursement can be made if the proper receipts and explanation are included with the Travel Expense Statement.

More information and travel forms may be found on the VSU Financial Travel Website.