Appointment to the Faculty
The following policy was approved by the Faculty Senate (5/25/95) concerning procedures to be followed when appointing a faculty member:
When filling a full-time faculty position, the appointment unit Head or Director/Dean in a unit without departments, shall appoint a search and screening committee. Members of the Search and Screening Committee (SSC) shall perform their duties according to Affirmative Action guidelines and University policy.
The procedures are as follows:
- The Search and Screening Committee prepares a position description and has the position description approved by the appointment unit Head or Director/Dean in a unit without departments. For units with departments, additional approval must be obtained from the Dean.
- The Search and Screening Committee prepares an advertisement including the following information: Department in which the position is located, Rank, Status (9-month/12-month),Qualifications (Required and Preferred), Experience (Required and Preferred), Application Deadline (at least 30 days after initial posting in the Applicant Clearinghouse of the University System of Georgia, AA/EOE Statement).
- The Search and Screening Committee forwards the position advertisement to the appointment unit Head or Director/Dean in a unit without departments. For units with departments, additional approval must be obtained from the Dean.
- Once approved, the Director/Dean forwards the position advertisement to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs for approval and placement in advertising outlets appropriate for the discipline including, but not limited to, the Applicant Clearinghouse of the University System of Georgia.
- If the position advertisement is not approved at any level, it will be remanded to the Search and Screening Committee with suggested revisions.
- The Search and Screening Committee will screen applicants and identify a qualified pool of applicants for the position.
- In consultation with appropriate persons, a group of potential interviewees will be selected. The list of names will be forwarded to the unit Head or Director/Dean. For units with departments, additional approval must be obtained from the Dean. The list may be prioritized.
- The Director/Dean secures approval for interviews of selected applicants from the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Any finalist currently employed by another system institution must receive permission to interview from the President of the employing institution prior to scheduling an interview.
- The Search and Screening Committee arranges interviews with approved applicants. Interviews should include, but are not limited to: faculty, Unit Head, Director, Dean, Vice President for Academic Affairs, and University President, or their designees.
- All full-time faculty members, excluding temporary appointments, of the appointment unit are eligible to vote by secret ballot on all interviewees recommended for full-time appointments. This vote shall be reported to the faculty of the appointment unit.
- Faculty members of the appointment unit recommend to the unit head a ranked list of interviewees. The voting record of the faculty accompanies the recommendation.
- The unit head forwards his/her recommendation and the faculty recommendation, with voting record attached, through appropriate channels.
Note: In accordance with the policies of the University System of Georgia, all application materials and committee actions (including written records) are subject to the Open Records Act.