Copying & Printing

  • My VSU 1Card doesn't work for printing, what should I do?

    Contact the IT Helpdesk (229-245-4357). Alternatively, you may submit a new incident in Service Desk.
  • The printer has a paper jam or produced a poor print, what should I do?

    Printer problems should be reported immediately to the nearest computer lab monitor or other library service point. Print job replacement is the only option for poor quality. Money will not be refunded, nor will funds be credited to a 1Card.
  • I want to print or make a copy from the microfilm, is that possible?

    The 1st floor copy room has two digital microfilm scanners. Scanned microfilm can be saved to a flash drive or printed. This service is offered free of charge to Valdosta State University students, staff, and faculty.
  • How do I increase my balance to meet the needs of my academics?

    To increase your print allocation, you will need to add a balance to your Flex account either through the 1Card Office or online through their Online Card Office web site.