The Center for eLearning offers the following instructor-led workshops available to faculty and staff. Please email email@example.com to schedule a one-to-one workshop.
- BlazeVIEW/GoVIEW 101: Introduction to D2L Brightspace
- BlazeVIEW/GoVIEW: Gradebook
- BlazeVIEW/GoVIEW: Assessment Tools
- Intro to Qualtrics Survey Tool (Workshop)
- Introduction to Blackboard Collaborate
- Introduction to Kaltura
- Introduction to Online Teaching and Instructional Design
This workshop will serve as an introduction to the Integrated Learning Platform D2L Brightspace (Referred to locally as BlazeVIEW if you teach for VSU or GOVIEW if you teach for a collaborate program). This workshop will cover some Brightspace basics, including:
- Logging into the System
- Exploring the System’s Various Features
- Creating Course Content
- Managing Course Offerings
- An Overview of the more widely used tools
This workshop covers setting up and using the Gradebook in BlazeVIEW/GoVIEW.
- Participants will be able to set up a complete basic Gradebook in Brightspace.
- Participants will be able to enter grades and feedback in Gradebook.
- Participants will have a basic understanding of how Gradebook works in Brightspace.
This workshop with cover the basics of creating student assessment items including working with the Assessments (Dropbox), Quizzes, and Discussion boards.
- Participants will be able to create and use a Dropbox in Brightspace.
- Participants will be able to create and use a Quiz in Brightspace.
- Participants will be able to create and use a Discussion board in Brightspace.
Qualtrics is the new web-based survey tool which facilitates survey creation, distribution and data monitoring/collection. The survey tool is available to all faculty, staff and students. This introductory course will cover the following:
- Creating a basic survey
- Adding items to the survey
- Overview of the different question-types
- Adding display logic to the survey
- Adding skip logic to the survey
- Adding collaborators to the survey
- Changing default settings
- Options for distributing the survey
- Viewing the survey results
- Qualtrics best practices
- Qualtrics online resources and training available
Blackboard Collaborate is Blackboard’s replacement for Wimba Classroom.
Blackboard Collaborate is a fully-featured, live, virtual classroom solution that includes audio, video, text chat, content display, and session archiving. Its pedagogical design and ease-of-use ensures that educators and students engage as if they were meeting face-to-face. Come learn about the new tool replacing Wimba Classroom and learn how to set up a Blackboard Collaborate session in your own D2L class, using the basics tools of the system, such as sharing audio, video, and content, as well as other basic features such as archiving a session.
Kaltura is a video recording, storage, and distribution tool made available through D2L Brightspace. Users can access it directly through (BlazeVIEW). This workshop will inform you on the basics of Kaltura by first presenting the following.
- Uploading Videos
- Using CaptureSpace to create quality lecture recordings
- Ordering Captions
- Using Insert Stuff to embed videos in D2L
The Introduction to Instructional Design & Online Instruction is a three week guided asynchronous course that is held inside of BlazeVIEW. This offering is 100% online and does not have any required meeting times. This is a self-paced interactive course.
The course is designed to give Faculty experience with online instructional design and course facilitation. The Introduction to Instructional Design & Online Instruction course aims to provide VSU faculty with the foundation of knowledge and skills needed to design and teach a quality online course utilizing national best practices and standards for diverse student populations and a wide array of disciplines. The course covers a wide variety of subjects including an introduction to the basics of instructional design, creating and aligning course objectives, measuring learning online, selecting quality online content, accessibility, and an introduction to online course facilitation. Individuals taking this course are expected to review all content, engage in discussion board activities, and submit several assignments while working through the course. Upon completion, participants will be awarded a certificate from eLearning.
NOTE: This is a pedagogically driven course and focuses on those aspects of teaching online. This course does not cover technical information or tool usage. It is expected that individuals taking this course are already familiar with the functions and uses of the BlazeVIEW LMS and are comfortable using its components. This offering is 100% online and does not have any required meeting times. A recommended course schedule is provided within the course.
*This Webconference session will be held via a system called Blackboard Collaborate. A headset and internet access are required to participate. A link to the session will be sent out directly to participants prior to the session start date/time.