The faculty and staff welcome all school counseling Masters, Education Specialist, and Certification students or those interested in becoming students, to the school counseling program at Valdosta State University. We are committed to helping make this educational experience positive and to increasing you educational, personal, and professional growth. It is our goal to assist our students in developing the skills and competencies needed to work effectively with the students in the K-12 school system and also to help you work toward your professional goal as a school counselor. Our school counseling program is host in the Department of Psychology and Counseling, a department in the university's College of Education.
The mission of the Valdosta State University School Counseling Program is to educate professionals who will be leaders in the school environment and who accept responsibility for removing barriers and offering equal access to services for all students. The main emphasis of the School Counseling Program is to train school counselors who function as leaders utilizing data, advocacy, collaboration and consultation to provide academic, career, and personal/social counseling and services to assist students from diverse backgrounds in achieving high levels of academic success.
The vision of the School Counseling Program is to educate and train school counselors dedicated to promoting success for all students by:
- developing and implementing comprehensive developmental school counseling programs that will assess and meet academic, career, and psychosocial needs of all students;
- developing community partnerships that provide support to the school counseling program;
- facilitating communication between students, family, school professionals, and the community through teaming and collaboration;
- serving as leaders and role models for students as a means of promoting positive student contributions to the school and community;
- and working with teachers and other school personnel to create a learning environment that will provide students with the skills necessary for academic, career, and personal success in a rapidly changing and diverse society.