Do I have to know sign language before I enroll?

No. Coursework in American Sign Language is part of the major core and program.

Is the program completed online?

No. Some of our courses (INTP 3010, for example) are online only courses, but most of the coursework is completed in face to face classes or videoconferencing technology that allows you to attend classes remotely at the same time as the on-site students.

 Will I be a certified interpreter when I complete this degree?

That depends on your level of proficiency, but usually not. This program, like almost all undergraduate interpreting programs, prepares you for entry-level work in the field. National Interpreter Certification is usually attained after a few years of experience working as an interpreter. 

The state of Georgia requires licensure for interpreters working in K-12 schools. In order to obtain a license, you must have National Interpreter Certification or have a 3.5 or better on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment. Many of our graduates achieve a 3.5 or higher upon program completion. This, in combination with the earned Bachelor’s Degree would make them eligible for a clear, renewable Georgia Educational Interpreting License.

Does this degree certify me to teach ASL?

No. The role of the interpreter is very different than that of a teacher. Program coursework prepares you for work as an interpreter, but does not teach you how to teach. For more information on Georgia Teacher Certification in ASL, see the Georgia Professional Standards commission website for pathways to ASL Certification.

I don’t want to earn a degree; can I just take ASL Classes?

Our courses are offered to degree-seeking students enrolled at Valdosta State University. Contact Continuing Education for more information on community ASL course offerings.

I’m happy with my major, but want to take ASL courses—can I?

Yes! When seats are available, non-major students are permitted to enroll in ASL courses. We also offer a minor in Deaf Studies which includes the four ASL courses.

 What is the minimum GPA required for program entry?

Students must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA in order to be admitted to the program.

 I’m a transfer student, and I’d like to know what courses I’ll need to take to complete the program. What do I do?

Your first step is to apply for admission to VSU. Your transcript will be evaluated and an advisor will contact you letting you know for which courses you received credit and which remaining courses you need to complete. A minimum of 30 credit hours must be completed at Valdosta State University in order for a degree to be awarded.

 What are the application requirements?

Complete application information can be found on our Undergraduate Admissions page.

 What kinds of technology will I need for the distance learning program?

Please see the Distance Education Options page for the technical specifications and equipment requirements.

 Who can I contact for more information?

Christia Williams, Program Coordinator

(229) 249-4957 (v)

(229) 375-5951 (vp)

Department of Middle, Secondary, Reading, and Deaf Education Homepage