Orientation Materials for Incoming Students
For complete orientation resources click here.
- MLIS 7000, Foundations of Library and Information Science, is required in the first semester of study. Attendance at a two-day face-to-face orientation is required. Once the orientation is completed, the balance of the course is delivered completely online.
- New! Spring 2016 Face-to-face Orientation dates and time: January 8-9, 2016
- Meeting place: Valdosta State University, Odum Library.
- Lodging: Students must make your own arrangements (see www.visitvaldosta.org for travel information)
- Directions to VSU: Directions to VSU [pdf]
- Guide to Ethical Conduct [pdf]
- MLIS Two Year Course Rotation Schedule, Fall 2015 – Summer 2017, Updated 10/01/15
- Academic Calendar [a place to find registration schedules and other important dates]
- Tuition and Fee Schedule
- Youth Services Librarianship
- Cataloging and Classification
- Health Sciences Librarianship
- Library Management
- Reference Sources and Services
Preparation to serve children and teens in school and public libraries
- Checklist for Students [pdf] -- Read this first.
- Liability Insurance and Criminal Background Check [pdf]
- Sample Program of Study Form for Dual MLIS & School Media Specialist Certification [pdf]
- MLIS and Library Media Certification: What's the Connection? [pdf]
A program of study is your record of the courses that you plan to take to fulfill graduation requirements and meet your career goals. It must be developed jointly by you and your advisor. Ask your advisor for help in selecting the appropriate form from the list below.
If you plan to request transfer credits for a core course, the course must meet the criteria on the MLIS Transfer Credit Guidelines.
- Blank Program of Study Form [doc]
- Blank MLIS 1st MLIS Masters Form [doc]
- Blank MLIS 2nd MLIS Masters Form [doc]
- Dual MLIS & School Media Specialist Certification [doc]
Completing your Graduation Application involves: 1. Payment of fee to the VSU Bursary, and 2. Filing application forms.
Payment online option:
- Pay your graduation fee online by credit card using the instructions at http://www.valdosta.edu/academics/registrar/forms/welcome.php Be sure to print out a copy of your receipt.
Payment by mail option:
- Mail a check for $25, made out to Valdosta State University to the VSU Bursary. Identify the payment as the graduate graduation fee.
Filing your forms - ALL forms below must be completed and signed by you where designated.
- Application for Degree Form [download] - this is the packet required for all VSU graduation candidates..
- Curriculum Checklist [doc] or Curriculum Checklist [pdf] - this form is required for all VSU MLIS candidates.
Submit the above forms to your MLIS Advisor. Again, include either your receipt from online payment OR enclose a note saying that you mailed your check to the Bursary. Your advisor will obtain remaining signatures and forward your packet to the Registrar.