Our Accounting majors work with the newest information systems technology, receive a broad educational foundation, and an intensive education in the business and accounting disciplines. Students develop communication, problem-solving, interpersonal skills, and master the knowledge and skills employers demand. Our internship program exposes accounting majors to real-world business skills and enhances their chance for success. The Master of Accountancy graduates are well-prepared for their careers and to sit for professional accounting examinations (e.g., the CPA, CMA, etc.).
Accounting professionals can be found in: public accounting firms, banks/financial institutions, corporations, public utilities, health care organizations, the media, law firms, government, manufacturing companies, and non-profit institutions.
Academic Opportunities - Undergraduate
- BBA in Accounting
- Internal Audit Certificate program – students must take ACCT 3100, 3700 and complete an internship in an internal audit department. See Mr. Mark Wills for details.
Academic Opportunities - Graduate
- Master of Accountancy – for students interested in CPA licensure and public accounting oppurtunities.
- Master of Business Administration – for students seeking a career in industry or government
- The Langdale College of Business offers several traditional and online MBA programs. Select Langdale College of Business Graduate Programs for more information.
Business students are encouraged to participate in the numerous study abroad opportunities offered at Valdosta State University, including the Germany and Turkey programs led by Langdale College of Business faculty. Study abroad scholarships are available for business majors. Select Langdale College of Business Study Abroad Programs for more information.
Opportunities for Involvement and Leadership
The Langdale College offers opportunities for professional development and networking through our various student organizations. Student organizations for accounting majors include:
- Beta Alpha Psi – Beta Alpha Psi (BAP) is an honorary organization for Financial Information students and professionals. Beta Alpha Psi's primary objective is to encourage and give recognition to scholastic and professional excellence in the business information field. This includes promoting the study and practice of accounting, finance and information systems; providing opportunities for self-development, service and association among members and practicing professionals: and encouraging a sense of ethical, social, and public responsibility.
- IMA Student Chapter - Joining the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) provides an excellent resource for students seeking managerial accounting careers. It creates opportunities for Information, Networking, Internships and Scholarships.
- Honors Luncheon
The Langdale College of Business awards over 65 scholarships to business majors each year. Current students, may apply through the Financial Aid link in their Banner account by submitting the VSU General Scholarship application. The annual deadline is March 1st. New freshman should select business or a specific business major when applying to VSU. Select Langdale College of Business Scholarships for more information.
Internships and Career Opportunities
The Langdale College of Business Career Strategies Center offers services for career development, internships and job search assistance. Select Langdale College of Business Career Strategies Center for more information.
Meet the Firms – a fall event for undergraduate and graduate accounting students. Employers seeking full-time employees or interns attend to distribute information about their company and collect resumes.