- Who is my advisor?
- Where can I find my advisor?
- What should I do to prepare for my Advising Week appointment?
- How can I change my advisor?
- How do I change majors?
- Where can I find a University Catalog or Bulletin?
- How do I apply for graduation?
- I want to take a class at another college or university. What should I do?
If you do not know who your advisor is, you can check by signing on into your Banner account. After you have signed into Banner, click on:
- Student & Financial Aid
- Student Records
- Student Information
- General Student Information
Your advisor's name will show under the Primary Academic Advisor section.
Things to do BEFORE you see your advisor:
- Consider your classes you need to graduate before talking to your advisor.
- Write down your options/classes on a piece of paper for your advisor to review.
- Bring your student ID to check out your file from the Biology Office Room 2035.
- Obtain a blank advising sheet from the office and keep a copy for your records.
Simply come to the Biology Department Office and tell us whom you would like for an advisor and the change will be made.
- Pick up a change of major form and your student file from the Biology Department.
- Get the appropriate signatures, authorizing the change of major.
- Take the student file and change of major form to your new department.
The Admissions Office and/or the catalog may be accessed online.
- Pick up an application for graduation from the University Registrar.
- Pick up your student file from the Biology Department Office.
- Meet with your advisor to discuss the remaining course requirements needed to graduate.
- Complete the application for degree form and have your advisor sign it.
- Pay graduation fees at the University Bursary.
- Take the receipt of payment and graduation application to the Registrar's Office.
Be sure that the course(s) you wish to take will substitute for the VSU course(s). We suggest that you have a course description of the course(s) you wish to substitute when you meet with your advisor, department head, and the Admissions Office. After you get a course description, do the following:
- Pick up the Transient Permission Form from the Registrar or Student Advising Center.
- Complete sections I.a - I.d (except the shaded area marked "Office Use Only").
- Contact your advisor and discuss your plans to enroll as a transient at another institution.
- Check with the Registrar or the SAC to be sure you will not exceed the maximum number of transfer hours that can be applied to your degree.
- Obtain your advisor's signature.
- Obtain your Department Head's signature.
- If you are on academic suspension, you must obtain the approval of the Dean.
- Take the form to the Admissions Office for evaluation of the proposed transient courses.
- Return the form to the Registrar.
You must request an official transcript from the transient institution to be sent to the Office of Admissions. Credit will not be posted to your record until the transcript has been received. Remember, paying VSU fees will not cover fees at the transient Institution.