About Computer Protection and Recovery
Virus Protection and Disinfection
In addition to protection for the campus servers and networks, Valdosta State University employs several software packages to protect university-owned computers from damage and data theft.
- LANDesk Antivirus - This is an enterprise-level antivirus package run on university-owned PC computers.
- Glary Utilities - This is a removal tool used to remove malicious software that may not be detected by a traditional antivirus software package.
While the Division of Information Technology does not provide repair services for computers that are not owned by the university, we recommend several software packages to help you protect your home computer.
- Avast Free Edition - This software is a free antivirus package for both PC, Mac, and Android computers that has been tested with campus services, such as BlazeVIEW and VSU Wireless Network.
- Malware Bytes - This is a removal tool used to remove malicious software that may not be detected by a traditional antivirus software package.
Please note that faculty and staff should not need to install this software on institutional equipment since this process is centrally managed by IT.
File Recovery Information
- Data Loss Prevention - The number one way to avoid losing files is taking a few precautionary steps.
- Common Questions - When it comes to file protection and recovery, you should be informed and know the answers to some of the common questions about file safety.