Fuel Card Procedures
A fuel card is located in every Valdosta State University (VSU) operated vehicle. The fuel card must be used to purchase all fuel for the vehicle.
Card for Over the Road Vehicles
The state fuel card, assigned to each vehicle, must be used to purchase fuel for state owned vehicles. This method of purchase avoids taxes and provides data for managing use of vehicles. The State Fuel card program at VSU is managed by a card administrator in the Procurement & Contract Services.
Equipment Fuel Card
Fuel cards for equipment such as tractors, mowers, off road utility vehicles, and generators will be issued upon request. Equipment fuel purchases must be documented on a Red Card Log.
Driver ID Personal Identification Number (PIN)
To apply for a Driver ID PIN, please fill out the Application for Fuel Card Driver ID.
The Driver ID (PIN) is an individual six-digit number assigned to each person who is authorized to purchase fuel. The number must be used when making a purchase. The number must be kept confidential. A driver who forgets an ID number may contact the VSU fuel card administrator.
The PIN identifies an individual driver. The fuel card identifies the VSU operated vehicle. The PIN and fuel card provide specific information. Each PIN is assigned to a specific VSU budget account number which identifies the driver, business unit and budget to be charged.
The Driver will be personally responsible for reimbursing VSU for any unauthorized charges on billings.
Vehicle Fuel Card
- State owned/VSU vehicles are assigned fuel cards. Authorized employees are issued Driver Identification Cards (Driver ID) for purchasing fuel.
- Driver ID Cards are used to purchase fuel for state owned/VSU vehicles. Personal charges are not allowed and will result in cancellation of the Driver ID or termination of employment. The Driver will be personally responsible for reimbursing VSU for any personal charges.
- Fuel cards must be kept in state owned/VSU vehicles. If the fuel card is lost or stolen, immediately contact Purchasing Services at 333-5705. If the incident occurs outside of business hours, contact Wright Express Customer Service (WEX) at 800-492-0669 to cancel the card and notify Purchasing Services on the next business day.
- Motor Vehicle Procedures should be reviewed prior to operating state owned/VSU vehicles.
Driver ID Number:
- Driver ID Numbers must be kept confidentiall.
- A Driver ID Number can be used with any fuel card assigned to any VSU vehicle.
- All fuel costs are charged to the driver’s departmental account.
- A driver who forgets an ID number must contact Purchasing Services at 333-5705.
Procedures at the Pump:
- First verify that the station accepts the Wright Express (WEX) card.
- Purchase only regular grade gasoline or diesel fuel. No other grade is allowed.
1) Insert the fuel card into the pump and request a receipt.
2) Enter the exact odometer reading. (Do not enter tenths of miles)
3) Enter the Driver ID number.
If the card cannot be used at the pump, the attendant will either swipe the card inside the station or will call 1-800-842-0071 for authorization. Do not give the attendant your Driver ID number.
The billing cycle closes at the end of each month. Fuel charges will appear in the departmental budget reports the following month. Billing will be derived from the VSU department account assigned to each PIN. Department contacts will be responsible for: FUEL Card Checklist
Matching the receipts for each fuel purchase to the monthly billing detail.
Completing journal vouchers for any charges that are charged incorrectly. Journal vouchers must be submitted directly to Financial Services.
Attaching original receipts to monthly billing detail.
Processing completed monthly billing to obtain department director’s approval.
Sending approved monthly billing detail and receipts to fuel card administrator
Any transaction dispute must be emailed to Beverly Amiot email@example.com fuel card administrator at (229) 333-5708 within sixty (60) days of the billing date of the transaction. Wright Express Loss Prevention will investigate the dispute.
Fraud Prevention Guidelines
Do not keep fuel cards and Driver PIN together.
Do no write PIN on fuel card.
Do not give PIN to station attendant – insist on entering the number without the help of the attendant.
Do not allow the card out of sight during a sales transaction.
Do not sign blank receipts or receipts without dollar or date information.
Do not leave cards or receipts accessible.
Always verify the purchase information is correct before signing the receipt.
Always check your card when returned to you after a purchase. Make sure it is your card.
If you believe the integrity of your PIN has been compromised for any reason, report it to the fuel card coordinator as soon as possible. The PIN will be canceled and a new number issued.