Initial Receipt of Funds
Please use this list of items when accepting funds. Doing so will serve to make deposit transmittal to the University Cashiers both fast and accurate.
Verify cash for counterfeit using counterfeit pens. (Available through the Cashiers)
Coins wrapped by customers and presented to a department must be labeled with the department name or individual’s name, ID# and phone number. Coins must be wrapped if in the following quantities:
- Pennies - .50
- Nickels - $2
- Dimes - $5
- Quarters - $10
- Checks should be endorsed as soon as possible after they are received as follows: For Deposit Only in the Account of Valdosta State University – Name of Department.
- Review Checks thoroughly and obtain the following:
- Payor Signature on the front
- Local or permanent address & phone number
- An identification number (SSN/Driver’s License or student ID).
- Money-Orders must have an identification number and endorsement.
- MasterCard, VISA, and Discover are the only credit cards accepted.
- Departments accepting credit cards are required to have a printed name, an identification number and receipt number on all signed or phone-in transactions for tracing purposes.
Departments must have a documented system to provide a dated, sequential record of the original entry of funds received. Any method used must provide a clear audit trail. Acceptable examples include Pre-numbered receipts or cash register receipts. (The Cashiers can assist you in choosing a method.)
Do Not Accept Counter, starter, credit-card checks or post-dated checks.
Do Not hold checks - Include in the daily deposit. Failure to do so may result in termination.
Do Not cash employee or student checks. The Bursary offers this service during normal business hours for a maximum amount of $50 per day.
Do Not Advance cash or receive an IOU.