Effective Budget Management at Valdosta State University involves all units of the university. The Budget Services office assists units with the effective use of financial resources to accomplish the mission of the unit and the mission of the University. Budget management requires open communication, review, and accountability at all levels of the university.
At the beginning of the fiscal year the President and Vice Presidents designate a Budget Manager for each budget in the university. The Department Head is typically the Budget Manager and the critical point for budget management. The Budget Manager could also be a Director, Coordinator, Program Manager, or Project Investigator depending on the nature and size of the unit as well as the source of the funds.
Procedures Governing the Creation and Maintenance of University Departmental Budgets
Any Vice President may request the establishment of a new departmental budget through by emailing Antolina Pilgrim, Director of Accounting and Procurement email@example.com. A departmental budget manager must be designated for each new budget. This departmental budget manager is critical to the internal budgeting processes of the department. It is his or her signature alone which will be required to manipulate funds within the departmental budget or to authorize expenditures from its accounts, and it is this manager who will be expected to regularly review the departmental budgets and keep members of the department informed.
Routine or clerical tasks associated with budgeting or strategic planning may be given to others under the departmental budget manager’s supervision; however, ultimate responsibility for the budget and planning for the department will remain with the named budget manager.
Should a departmental budget manager be unable to sign a document (vacation, etc), please notify Financial Services in advance via email Antolina Pilgrim, Director of Accounting and Procurement firstname.lastname@example.org. of the change in temporary signature authority. Any individual signing for a departmental budget manager should sign as follows:
Jane Departmental Budget Manager by Joe Temporary Signature Authority
Suggested Elements of Regular Budget Review:
- At the beginning of the fiscal year establish an annual plan for the department’s activities and estimate what resources and scheduling will be required to accomplish their plans. One tool for the Budget Manager to use is the Department Budget Tracking Worksheet included with Resources below.
- Review monthly reports, report discrepancies and make amendments
- Communicate with department members regarding budget priorities and progress
- Communicate with Dean and/or Vice President to keep them current regarding the changes in needs and the impact for the school’s or division’s goals
- Meet year-end deadlines for purchases, etc.