Entrance 7 or 8
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Ask an Advisor
What is Academic Advising?
Academic advising is a process that assists students in clarifying and understanding their academic and career goals. By corresponding with an advisor, students develop educational plans to construct goals and plans of action for overall success. Working together, students and their advisors plan and make decisions that are ultimately reflected in the student's success at Valdosta State University.
What is an Advisor?
An advisor serves as a facilitator of communication, a coordinator of learning experiences through course and career planning and academic progress review, and an agent of referral to other campus agencies as necessary.
Why do I need an advisor?
Valdosta State University requires every student to meet with an academic advisor each semester. Meeting with your advisor can provide you with many academic and future career related benefits.
- Advisors have the insight and experience to assist students in mapping a course schedule each semester
- Advisors prepare students for course registration
- Advisors help keep students accountable by monitoring their academic progress each semester
- Advisors help students explore their educational interests and help students determine appropriate majors that suit those interests and needs
- Advisors can help students clarify and understand their educational and career goals
- Advisors can aid students in exploring on campus activities and opportunities to enhance your undergraduate experience