MUSC 1016 Computers in Music, Drs. Shrader and Lowe, Fall 2012
This webpage is designed to help you find music (whether sheet music or recordings) and resources about music in Odum Library.
Valdosta State University's Odum Library Homepage
- Getting Started (video)
- This video presents an introduction to the Odum Library webpage.
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page brings together every possible way to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Finding Sheet Music
- GIL-Find@VSU Advanced Search -- Use the advanced search in GIL-Find@VSU to search for sheet music. Select "musical score" under format and enter any other search terms you would like.
- Composers are listed as authors in the GIL-Find@VSU catalog. To search for all of the pieces we have by Beethoven, enter "Beethoven" in a search box, select "author" from the menu beside it, and select "musical score" under the format list.
- GIL-Find@VSU Advanced Search -- Use the advanced search in GIL-Find@VSU to search for recordings, too. Select "audio" under format and enter any other search terms you would like.
- To search for all of the recordings the library has featuring the works of Philip Glass, search for "Philip Glass" as the author and select "audio" under format.
Finding Books and Other Materials
- GIL-Find@VSU—searches for books and other materials by keyword, title, author, subject, and other fields.
- GIL-Find Tutorial (guide)
- GIL Universal Catalog—expands the Classic GIL@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 3-6 days.
- GIL Universal Catalog / GIL Express (guide)
- The GIL Universal Catalog allows you to search for library books across the University System of Georgia. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 2-5 days.
- WorldCat is a catalog for library holdings throughout the world. You can search for a particular book here and find detailed information about it, which you can then use for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) forms. While using this FirstSearch version of WorldCat, you can click on the "Find It" button within a record and then send WorldCat information to our ILL system automatically.
Print Reference Materials
You will find print reference sources on the second floor of Odum Library near to the reference desk. Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
Online Reference Sources
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/academics/library/).
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop-down menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to view a list of subject pages for VSU majors.
- Select Music for a list of recommended databases.
Scholarly Articles & Peer Review
- Is the article peer-reviewed? See our guide on Peer Review.
- Use Ulrich's to determine if a journal is refereed (peer reviewed). Look for the referee's shirt!
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Using Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan allows you to request sheet music, articles, books, and other materials from other libraries. You can use ILLiad, our online interlibrary loan system, to get articles in 2-5 days, or books in 2 weeks.