- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Make an Appointment with a Reference Librarian
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Developing a Search Statement
Suggested Subject Headings
- vocational guidance
e.g. criminal justice and career
- A great place to start your searching for sources, as it searches a number of our databases and the GIL-FIND@VSU catalog in one (1) search.
- Use the EbscoHost guide to get familiar with Discover, as it is an EbscoHost tool.
Finding Books and Other Materials
- GIL-Find@VSU—searches for books and other materials by keyword, title, author, subject, and other fields.
- GIL Universal Catalog—expands the GIL-FIND@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 3-6 days.
- GIL Express Request (guide)
- Downloading eBooks (guide)
Print Reference Materials
You will find print reference sources in both the main reference collection and the "reference alcove." Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
Print Reference Sources
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance - REF HF5381.A1 E5 2008
- College Majors Handbook - REF HF5382.5.U5 F644 2004
- College Majors & Careers: A Resource Guide for Effective Life Planning - REF HF5382.5.U5 P445 2009
Online Reference Sources
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page.
- Click on the Articles tab
- Click Select Subject
- Click on the appropriate Subject guide (e.g. English)
Academic Search Complete (EbscoHost)
Research Library (Proquest)
JSTOR (full text journal articles, 2006 and earlier)
- Vocational and Career Collection (EbscoHost)
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Locating articles full-text or in print
Using Interlibrary Loan(ILL)
- ILL (Inter-Library Loan)
Other Skills and Resources
- Scholarly vs Trade Magazines vs Popular Magazines
- Evaluating Journal Articles
- Peer Review
- Paraphrase: Write it in your own words
- Evaluating Sources of Information
- Avoiding Plagiarism and Mastering the Art of Scholarship (University of California, Davis)
- Avoiding Plagiarism (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- A short video about Plagiarism (and its unpleasant consequences)