ENGL 4900 Sewell
What can you do with your degree in English or writing?
Sample Job Titles:
Communications Specialist, Journalist, Publicity Assistant, Copywriter, Public Affairs Officer, Copyeditor, Indexer, Publishing Assistant, Editorial Assistant, Research Assistant, Speechwriter, Technical Writer, Technical Editor, Content Creator, Assistant Editor, Developmental Editor, Freelance Writer, Marketing Assistant, Reporter, Public Information Specialist, Web Editor, Media Specialist, Web Developer, Public Affairs Assistant, Publications Manager, Outreach Coordinator, Screenwriter, Grants Specialist, Medical Writer, Grant Proposal Writer, Community Relations Officer, Public Relations Manager
- Occupational Employment Statistics From the U.S. Department of Labor, this site provides estimates for number of people employed and wages paid for more than 800 occupations.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Also from the U.S. Department of Labor, the OOH describes not only job requirements, wages, and prospects, but also what people spend time doing on the job and customary working conditions. Also available in print by request at the Odum Library Reference Desk, call number READY REF HF5381.A1 O362.
Sites for Job Searching
- USAJOBS Search for jobs working for the United States government.
- Careers.Ga.gov Search for jobs working for the Georgia state government.
- State Government Sites Visit web sites for each state to browse for links to employment, careers, jobs, or human resources.
- Valdosta State University Human Resources Scroll to the bottom of the page for links to staff and faculty openings.
- Inside Higher Ed Not just faculty positions: under Job Categories, look for possibilities under Administrative Jobs and Jobs Outside Higher Education.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Again, more than faculty positions: Administrative Jobs will list advertisements for positions in student and academic affairs such as communications specialists, academic advisors, program coordinators, etc.
- Booksjobs.com Information about careers in publishing and listings for jobs and internships.
- JournalismJobs.com Competition, employment, and internship opportunities in journalism.
- The Write Jobs Job listings and career advice in journalism, writing, media, and publishing.
- AAUP Jobs at University Presses Job listings at nonprofit scholarly publishing companies.
Nonprofit, Professional, and Academic Associations:
- Nonprofit Jobs Cooperative "A job site for nonprofits, by nonprofits."
- Opportunity Knocks Job Seeker Starting place for searching for nonprofit positions by location, type of job, salary, etc.
- PublicServiceCareers.org Public sector job postings; site is sponsored by the professional associations Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM), American Society for Public Administration (ASPA), and National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA).
- Keep in mind that almost all professional associations have websites, and most provide some resources for job seekers. Many professional organizations, such as the American Society for Indexing, the American Copy Editors Society, and the American Society of Journalists and Authors, offer some open online resources, but reserve job postings for members-only access.
Resources for Information about Business and Industry
- LexisNexis Academic Search newspapers and business information worldwide. (requires GALILEO login)
- Hoover's Company Profiles (at ProQuest) (requires GALILEO login)
- ProQuest Newspapers (requires GALILEO login)
- International Directory of Company Histories, available in Odum Library Reference at call number REF HD2721 .D36, includes 103 volumes to date of background information about major companies.
Resources about Graduate Degree Programs for English Majors
- GradSchools.com Comprehensive and free (to students) online directory to graduate school opportunities.
- American Bar Association-Approved Law Schools Alphabetical and other lists of ABA-approved law schools, with links to individual schools' web pages.
- American Library Association Resources about education for and career opportunities in information and library science.
- Education for Public Service Careers From PublicServiceCareers.org, information about degree programs in Public Affairs and Public Administration.
- Law School Admission Council This nonprofit administers the LSAT and serves as a clearinghouse for law school applicants.
- The Odum Library Reference Collection has recent print guides to graduate programs such as Peterson's Graduate and Professional Programs: An Overview 2013 (call number REF L901.P442 ), Peterson's Graduate Programs in the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences 2013 (call number REF L901 .P443), and Peterson's Graduate Programs in Business, Education, Health, Information Studies, Law and Social Work 2013 (call number REF L901 .P459).
Community and Economic Resources (United States)
- U.S. Census Bureau The starting point for statistics and analysis of how people live in the United States: national, regional, state, and local information about population, income, housing, employment, business, and more.
- American Factfinder Search for demographic information from the decennial and economic censuses and the American Community Survey.
- CareerOneStop Job information and job search advice from the U.S. Department of Labor. See drop-down box on the right upper corner for links to state job banks.
- Best Places to Live From CityRating.com, information about and cost comparison estimates between cities throughout the United States.