Doctoral Students Curriculum and Instructions
This webpage aims to connect you to resources to assist you in your research.
- Getting Started (video guide)
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
- Locate books in the Odum Library
- Search for Library of Congress Subject Headings
- ILL (Inter-Library Loan)
- Odum Library subject guide for Education
Online Reference Sources
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/library/).
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to reach subject pages for VSU majors.
Is a Journal Peer-Reviewed?
- Use Ulrich's to determine if a journal is refereed (peer reviewed). Look for the referee's shirt!
Recommended Databases for Education
- Specific Databases
- General Databases
Finding News and Trade Publications
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Publications of the federal government can be excellent primary sources. The following resources may be useful:
Community, School, and District Information from Government Sources
- American FactFinder U.S. Census data for population, housing, economics, and geography.
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) U.S. Department of Education agency responsible for data about education. See the Most Viewed NCES Sites drop-down list for popular reports such as the Nation's Report Card, Digest of Education Statistics, and more.
- Search for Public School Districts NCES data on district and individual public school enrollment characteristics, ratio of students to teacher, district funding, and more for schools across the United States.
Help with getting articles full-text or in print
Other Skills and Resources