Discover GALILEO (Search)
- Discover GALILEO is a search tool is provided by EBSCO, which searches through many databases at once, and also includes our catalog, eBooks, and other sources. It does not include everything we own, but it's a great place to start. Because Discover is an EBSCO tool, the EBSCOhost tutorial will help you get started with Discovery's functions.
- When you search for a topic and get a results list, check the left sidebar. This will show how many results you obtained through your search, and also gives you many helpful ways to narrow down your results list and find more relevant literature.
Browsing by Subject
- When you are looking for articles within your subject field in GALILEO, you should browse by subject.
- To find electronic resources by subject, click on a subject on the front page. You may have to select a category within that subject. Resources for each subject are "rated" using a five-star system in terms of relevance to the subject, not quality.
Browsing by Type
- When you are looking for different types of electronic resources, regardless of the subject, you should browse by type.
- To find electronic resources by type, click Browse by Type on the horizontal gold bar. Types include journals, encyclopedias, and newspapers.
Databases A-Z List
When you know the name of the electronic resource you are looking for, browse for it alphabetically or search for it in the Databases A-Z list.
- To access the Databases A-Z list, click Databases A-Z on the horizontal gold bar. Click on a letter to browse that letter's alphabetical listing, or type the database name into the search box.
Journals A-Z List
- When you know the name of an individual journal you are looking for, not a database, browse for it alphabetically or search for it using theJournals A-Z list.
- To access the Journals A-Z list, click Journals A-Z on the horizontal gold bar. Click on a letter to browse that letter's alphabetical listing, or type the journal name into the search box.
GALILEO Quick Facts
- GALILEO isn't the page or the search bar that you use - GALILEO is both an organization and Georgia's statewide initiative to provide electronic resources to everyone in Georgia. What you're using is called "GALILEO Scholar."
- "GALILEO stands for GeorgiA Library Learning Online,
an initiative of the Board of Regents of the University System of
Georgia. A World Wide Web-based virtual library, GALILEO provides access
to multiple information resources, including secured access to licensed
products. Participating institutions may access over 100 databases indexing
thousands of periodicals and scholarly journals. Over 2000 journal
titles are provided in full-text. Other resources include encyclopedias,
business directories, and government publications." - from GALILEO's About the Initiative.
- GALILEO makes it possible for VSU to provide you with more
electronic resources, through GALILEO's lower costs and increased access
to a wide range of electronic materials.
Scholar is GALILEO's "user interface," meaning it's the system you can
use to access all GALILEO resources. Odum Library also adds all of the
electronic resources that we have acquired outside of GALILEO in GALILEO
- GALILEO Scholar is not the only way to access VSU's electronic resources. You can also use the subject guides on the Odum Library homepage. Click "Select Subject" under Articles by Subject to get a list of all subject guides.