This webpage connects you to resources to assist you in your research.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Developing a Search Statement
- Constructing a Search Strategy (guide)
- Mapping Your Topic (guide)
- Boolean, Truncation & Wildcard (guide)
Suggested Subject Headings
- vocational guidance
e.g. criminal justice and career
Print Reference Materials
Print Reference Sources
You will find print reference sources in both the main reference collection and the "reference alcove." Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
An example of a print reference resource
A good place to start your research is with reference books. A few are listed below:
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- College Majors & Careers: A Resource Guide for Effective Life Planning
Online Reference Sources
An example of an online reference resource (Gale Virtual Reference Library)
Databases for Articles
Finding Databases for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page.
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to reach subject pages for VSU majors.
Recommended Databases for Articles
- Academic Search Complete (at EbscoHost) (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- Research Library (at ProQuest) (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- ABI Inform Complete (at ProQuest)
- Business Source Complete (at EbscoHost)
- JSTOR (full text journal articles, 2006 and earlier)
- Vocational And Career Collection (at EbscoHost)
- Subject Specific databasesNOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Using Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan allows you to request articles, books, and other materials from other libraries. You can use ILLiad, our online interlibrary loan system, to get articles in 2-5 days, or books in 2 weeks.
Other Helpful Resources
- Scholarly vs Trade Magazines vs Popular Magazines (guide)
- Evaluating Journal Articles (guide)
- Peer Review (guide)
- Paraphrase: Write it in your own words (guide at The OWL at Purdue)
- Evaluating Sources of Information (guide at The OWL at Purdue)
- Annotated Bibliographies (guide at The OWL at Purdue)
- Avoiding Plagiarism and Mastering the Art of Scholarship (University of California, Davis)
- Avoiding Plagiarism (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- A short video about Plagiarism (and its unpleasant consequences)