GIL Account PIN FAQs
Finding your GIL Account PIN (video)
Learn how to access your GIL account and PIN
- Why do I need a PIN?
- When will I need a PIN?
- What will I need a PIN to do?
- How will I get my PIN?
- What if I forget my PIN?
- What if I don't have an email address?
In an effort to provide more security in accessing your account online, the use of a PIN has been implemented. Since the user determines the PIN, this helps insure the prevention of unauthorized access to your account.
- Friday, January 15th, library users will need a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to logon to their My GIL account in the Classic GIL@VSU Catalog.
- Tuesday, January 19th, you will need your PIN to place a GIL Express request for a title as held by another University System of Georgia (USG) Library in the Universal Catalog.
Any time you logon to your My GIL account online:
- Viewing the list of items you have checked out
- Renewing materials online
- Making GIL Express requests or to place a recall on a title that is already checked out
- Reviewing the status of requested materials
- Getting the GALILEO password, but remember you can also use Anywhere Access to learn the GALILEO password
At the My GIL Account screen:
- Enter your VSU 87 nine digit Institutional ID number as found on your VSU 1Card ID or via Institutional ID Lookup.
- Enter your last name
- Click on the Get My Pin link. A temporary PIN will be immediately emailed to your VSU email account with the Subject line, "GIL Logon Information".
- Once you have received your temporary PIN, log in to your account
- Change your PIN by selecting the Change PIN button directly under your name & address in your patron account.
- NOTE: Using Internet Explorer to change your PIN will cause the browser to hang up for a minute or so while completing the process. Firefox is recommended if possible because it does not have a delay.
- PIN tips:
- 5 to 12 alphanumeric characters
- No special characters
- PINs should be random and unique letters and digits. Although this may make it harder to remember, your accounts will be better protected. Do not use information for your PIN that could be easily guessed.
You can use the 'Get My PIN' link on the login screen at anytime to have it emailed to you if you forget your PIN.
The VSU email address is already entered into the patron record for all Valdosta State University students, faculty and staff.
Community borrowers may need to contact the Circulation staff desk to update their patron record with an email address or otherwise obtain a PIN.
- Reference Services
- Administrative Office
- Main Fax
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Sun 12 pm - 2 am * Mon-Thu 8 am - 2 am * Fri 8 am - 9 pm Sat 12 pm - 8 pm